Tone competition 2 round 2

Which clip has your favorite guitar tone?

• CC

Votes: 35 49.3%
  • CX

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • D

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • DD

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • DW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • E

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • EE

Votes: 3 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was also between CC or CX.
Finally voted CC.

BTW, can anyone notice the difference between real amps and ampsims?
I think when the contest ends and names and chains comes to light, we are gonna see amazing things.

CC sits really well with the mix. Really showed its stuff in relation to the kick. That's what sold me. Punched my sub just right. I liked it.

CX just wasn't quite there, but close. Those were the only two I really really liked. Competition's getting fierce.

Thanks for putting this together so quickly, Mark.

Just one question, would it be possible to offer these clips as a single .rar file bundle option for us more bandwidth-limited folks? I'm finding it a bit hard to pull these files down quickly with my awesome outback internet connection.

Also, CX takes it for me here.

CC: The best out of the 'losing' bunch. Has a bit of a strange tubby low-end, and something smeared about the highs. Isn't quite punching with all cylinders.
D: Too stuffy/boxy.
DD: Way too pushed in the 1 to 2k area. Sounds grating and scratchy.
DW: Just too distant compared to the others.
E: Sounds very phasey and just generally wrong.
EE: 500Hz overload.

CX is a little mid-rangey and dull, but nothing some mix EQ couldn't fix. It has the most starting potential.

I can´t do it right now as I´m not home but I can do it for you on monday. Would you like .wav or .mp3s?

Yo, get some sleep Mark. (Its 7:25 am and I’m also still working here with unhuman passion for the new isocab.)

When you wake up the the situation simply is:

You said that you replaced the mixdown file and Anssi said he listened and approved it. Still the DD file for the voting is the old and extremely loud one.

How the heck did that happen? :rolleyes:

@ Anssi:

...interesting conversation you guys had there. :lol:

"[01.12.2009 04:12:52] ahjteam: but oddly enough, it actually sounds pretty good eventho it is brickwalled like shit"

Heh, definitely offtopic, but I knew all the time you somehow liked it. You talked all the time it was loud as fuck but nothing like utter shit etc.

But it was how I adjusted the amp (for serious gain) and then some tape saturation from a plugin (so no master bus compression) which “brickwalled” it.

SO: I think we're soon happily over with this, but I'll still come back to read what Mark has to say after double checking some things.

I don´t have time during the day so I work on this competition at nights whenever I´m home. I did remove your old file and replaced it with the new one. I´m not sure what went wrong, but I´ll figure it out monday. When I do I can re-integrate your (fixed) entry into the competition with a different label to remain anonymous i fyou like.

There are quite a lot clips in this round that I like! But after some listening I would say that DD has the most precise, tight, "in-your-face" tone. I also like the rich midrange and it's rawness. Even though the clip is really annoying to listen to because the guitars are so damn loud that the backing track sounds like a static noise to it...
But in terms of guitar tone DD is my choice!

Whooa, toughest round by now. My choice has moved up again.

Jevil: It would be some kind of embarrasing and funny that happens. All the finalists being sims lol :S. I don't think so but if it happens I'll dump my amps

Whooa, toughest round by now. My choice has moved up again.

Jevil: It would be some kind of embarrasing and funny that happens. All the finalists being sims lol :S. I don't think so but if it happens I'll dump my amps

Word:heh:

I'll take 'em

Well, since this is over and I didn't send any info to Mark, I figure I'll post my simple chain.

Mine was CX.

Chain: Focusrite Saffire LE -> ProRMP -> TS7 -> 5150 -> s-preshigh.

Cheers to CC for a good competition.