Tone competition 2 round 5

Which clip has your favorite guitar tone?

• JJ

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • JQ

Votes: 28 35.9%
  • K

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KK

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • L

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • LL

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • M

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
* LL gets my vote : tight, good balance, good tone i like, not too polished/not too smooth
* quickly followed by KK : nice, quite tight but still not enough for me and a tad too saturated/digital/polished/smooth for me
* then L : tight, nice balance, but sounds a bit weird, like stereo guitar tracks unbalance or something
* then JJ (good balance, but too digital/undefined/untight/smooth for me) & JQ (a tad muddy/untight in the lows/low-mids)
* then far away is K (way too much bass/lows/low mids, muddy, almost buried)
* and further is M (way too undefined/untight, buried, too much low mids/bass)

I just reuploaded the .wav files for those of you who got the 404 error. Should work now, let me know if it doesn't.

I had to pick JQ after much consideration. Its the tone i would most like to play with

Info will be posted saturday, congrats to JQ!

This was a round with a few very good clips, I hope people will learn from the settings and insights from these clips (seen in the next post)

JJ was Glenn Fricker (Oznimbus)

RME Fireface800 output
Ebtech Hum Eliminator
Radial X-AMP
Maxon OD808
Peavey 5150 (signature series with bias mod & JJ output tubes)
Engl Pro v30 cab
Two SM57, on/off axis
two API 512c preamps
Rme Fireface 800

K was Dexter_Prog

group:
01.%20Voxengo%20CurveEq.jpg

02.%20Waves%20q10.jpg

03.%20Voxengo%20Elephant.jpg

Guitar R (same as left)

01.%20tube%20screamer%27s%20secret.jpg

02.%20RSE%20x30.jpg

03.%20Voxengo%20CurveEq.jpg

04.%20Lepou%20Lecab.jpg

05.%20Waves%20Q10.jpg

KK was Petrovsk Mizinski

Signal Chain

Tube Screamer's Secret > Nick crow 8505 Lead > Voxengo Boogex (which is my host for Catharsis-Awesometime-Fredman impulses) > Ableton Live 8.0 Saturator

L was Dom_Ostarig

Bothguitarchain.JPG

LL was Poisoned Dreams

i re-amped both guitars into my engl e530 preamp, recording the left track three times and the right track three times. both tracks had a tube screamer in front of them before going into the amp, the settings on the tube screamer for both takes where drive-o tone-6 1/2 volume-10. The left tracks settings on the engl where gain-3 bass-5 lomid-7 himid-5 lead vol-full the gain lo/hi switch was pressed in. The right tracks settings where all the same apart from the himid which i turned down to 2. Once the tracks where all in pro-tools i had 6 guitar tracks 3 for each side, one was going to be 100% left or right the other 80% left or right and the third was used to get the speaker rumble. The two tracks used for 100% left and right have tl space on them with recabinet impulse 1960 4x12 421 mic 6l6 edge45 0_5, tracks 80% left and right use 1960 4x12 57 mic el34 57 edge 0_5 and the tracks rumble left and right use 1960 4x12 421 mic el34 421 edge45 o_5. The eq used is attched with the pictures.

Picture%204.png

Picture%205.png

Picture%206.png

Picture%208.png

Picture%209.png

M was Donthomson

2 guitar tracks panned 100/100 -> TSS -> X30 -> SIR with Catharsis impulses -> and som EQ to get rid of som fizz
2 guitar tracks panned 60/60 -> TSS -> SoloC -> SIR with Catharsis impulses -> and som EQ to get rid of som fizz

donthomson_signalchain_guitars%201-2.jpg

donthomson_signalchain_guitars%203-4.jpg

I knew that mine was KK anyway, but holy shit, I came second:lol:
I feel quite embarrassed, seeing all these people who went to the trouble of making screen shots and all I provided was a line of text with my signal path:lol:

I'm quite surprised honestly, I had no idea I'd do that well in the round. I've only been doing this whole Audio Engineering since June this year and it wasn't until two months ago that I started to figure out how to get fairly good guitar tones. I didn't start using 8505 until about the start of November and before the guitar tone comp I honestly never really spent time figuring out how to get it to sound decent.
I know that with using amp sims and just the general fact I have such limited resources at my disposal (crappy monitoring, no real amps etc) that even if I won this round, I would have easily lost to the more experienced guys that own some real, serious gear.

I have to say, it was because of this forum that I was able to get to the tone that I did. Not that my tone was that amazing, but it seems it was good enough to have got me to second place in this round.
Thanks to everyone here that gave me good advice and ultimately lead me to understanding guitar tones better. Hell, even just the threads that existed before I was member that had good advice in them, thankyou to everyone who made great posts with great advice, I cannot describe in words how much it's helped me out:headbang: