Guitar tone competition 2 final round (really!)

Which of these clips has your favorite guitar tone?

• YY

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • V

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • WW

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • SS

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • O

Votes: 23 33.3%
  • JQ

• II

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • EV

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • CC

• BY

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For me it was a pleasure to be in the final with big ones!lol I didnt even expect to pass my round, so it was great. More because I didnt like my tone at all. I want to thank to all the people that put their effort to make this happen. You guys rule:kickass::headbang:

hahahhh, this definitely proves it's not the gear but the one behind it.

half of the finalists are sims, and a Bugera wins. In fact my fav was LE456!

Congrats Ermz and the rest

It seems that the 80% were sims so it's not the point. Moreover, listening the various rounds, I can definitelly hear a sims reamp after 2 notes.
I'm more happy to go in the final round with a reamp done in 5 minutes, mic placing and setup included, that using 10 plugs and simulators for every guitar track trying to emulate the real deal.

Anyway, Congrats Ermz....great tournament :)

Haha, owned. Ermz. FYI The Music Swop Shop has a second hand 6505 going in mint condition, you might want to look into that to tie you over untill the Engl makes its magical appearance when the sun and moon align and Mesa becomes cheaper in Oz than the US.
I know it's not the Fireball, but at least it's tried and true.

How much is it going for? Anything more than $800 and it's not really worth it. I'm kinda over that sound - plus Dave lives down the street and I can borrow his almost any time. That's the point actually. I can borrow just about any high-gain amp someone would want used on their record, so not owning an amp hasn't been an issue in the past.

Congrats Ermz!! After listening to the other contestants, my clip sounded sooo scooped amongst them and I'm usually heavily against scooped tones :loco:

Should've put some more mids in there although it wouldn't have changed the rank, but probably just sounded better :)

How much is it going for? Anything more than $800 and it's not really worth it. I'm kinda over that sound - plus Dave lives down the street and I can borrow his almost any time. That's the point actually. I can borrow just about any high-gain amp someone would want used on their record, so not owning an amp hasn't been an issue in the past.

Fair point.

So what's the prize?

Congrats Ermz!! After listening to the other contestants, my clip sounded sooo scooped amongst them and I'm usually heavily against scooped tones :loco:

Should've put some more mids in there although it wouldn't have changed the rank, but probably just sounded better :)

You did very good man, considering what you used. Yours would've been my pick if I weren't biased, hehe.

@Dan: It's one of Slate's up coming plug-ins. Will find out closer to the end of the month, as they come out.

Thanks Ermz! I recently was thinking whether to buy Peavey Vypyr or Bugera 6260 and I went with the Vypyr.

After hearing your clip I want a Bugera again, although the Vypyr is alot of fun since it's a modeling amp :)

Thanks Ermz! I recently was thinking whether to buy Peavey Vypyr or Bugera 6260 and I went with the Vypyr.

After hearing your clip I want a Bugera again, although the Vypyr is alot of fun since it's a modeling amp :)

I'd recommend either the 333 or the 333xl. The 6260 is actually the one with the worst sounding high gain tone. The 333 does sludgy, blunt death really well, and the 333xl just seems to be a more versatile, standard fare bugera type sound. The irony here is that these two amps actually sound better than the Peaveys they are emulating.

Congrats Ermz!

Seems like i was about the only one who just plugged the cable into the amp and put a mic in front of it :lol:
I didn't like my competition tone myself, though. 10 minutes later i had a (imho) much better tone after adding the md421, but i sent the first one by accident. Haha, it wouldn't have made a difference after all i guess.