TONETEST (Engl)

All i got is a lo/hi pass on it, any pointers on what frequency area this harsh and brash would be around?

Ive used a verity of different gain settings and any less sounds too clean for my taste..

It'll sound too clean playing alone, but once double tracked and in the mix it'll just sound clearer and more defined, not undergained.

the brashness/harshness of it sounds like an issue with the original tone - too much presence or high end. It's an upper midrange/high end thing I'm hearing, and EQ won't completely get rid of it. What kind of cab simulation are you running?

Ya ive recorded alot of stuff with less gain i know how all that works. Personal preference lets say

I could prob back off my treb and hi mids some on the amp, its hard to tell on these monitors/room everything sounds flat so im always overcompensating.

Im using a couple difference impulses i got off here.

Still grating, kinda fatiguing to my ears. Listening back, it's also lacking some balls and low end presence down there, which is just accentuating the top end.

Call it personal preference I guess, but your entire mix would sound cleaner and heavier with less gain.

There is bass... I just cant seem to get the thickness out of the engl like id hope... Ive tried multiple settings and chains

Its just not a very thick/bassy amp direct, sounds great live... just not direct. I dont know what to do

If i compare it some tones i like the low end is completely gone.

Heres with the bass track cranked.... Guitars still sound tiny

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4799456/81.mp3

I know i can get it to sound alot beefier if i mic it up but i dont know about this basement

I think your guitars sound very good!
I think you should try to improve your mastering - it's the reason why you think your guitar sounds tiny.
add more midds (upper and lower) and listen to it again.
God, I would love to have this guitar sound...:)

cheers

Ya it could be that, i dont know what i could be doing wrong but its very possible. Maybe when im comparing my tone to other bands im overlooking the professional mastering thats involved.

I felt kind of down today after realizing how thin my tone sounds direct so i hooked my cab, pweramp, rack etc back up and mannnn. Its sounds super meaty and frankly a million times better. Maybe i need to go out and buy a mic. Not sure how well it will sound in my unconditioned basement...

So Jeff, how does this sound? not enough highs?
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4799456/test.mp3

Last riff is the original tone from the post.

turned down the gain some... did clean up some noise.

I think this whole time contour wasnt even on or something... It sounding alot thicker tonight...

Ya i know the guitars are too loud... Dont mind the mix

gargling aye.. I guess i can hear that.

Today after listening to it im thinking the lows need to come down some and treb or hi mids need to come up some?

The original (8.mp3) Sounds too thin to me.. this contour seems to be the only way to get bigger dick out of this amp.. Im change some things and post another one.