too many home studios?

James Murphy said:
aaarrrrrrggghhh:yell:

i had a pretty fun new year's celebration, anybody else?... my little brother drank to much and puked in 4 places.. that was fun too... lol. :lol:

heh my new years wasnt that fun really, i sleep on an air matress wich popped i guess and i couldnt sleep on the couch because bjorn was already on it... so i slept on the deflated air matress like a loser hah. although a fewe nights before i puked in 2 different places, so you got me beat with 4.

I saved up for about three years to buy decent gear for a home studio. We carefully priced out and purchased about 45K worth of gear and software. The studio is mostly for personal use but we are opening up for some other bands starting next month.

Will we make the money back in the 1st year? Hell no. But we'll have fun trying.

I have a day job that pays the bills but my dream has to always work in music. I tried doing the web design and hosting bit for awhile but it never panned out. Musicians are typically broke and won't spend money on shit. There are two major exceptions to this rule.

1. They'll spend money on gear.
2. They'll spend money on studio time.

I have no desire to sell music gear but running a studio has a great appeal to it. It may take me a few years to become profitable but at least I'll have fun in the meantime.

I think Ben Schigel (producer Chimaira) said it best. "What other business requires $200K to $300K to start and you can only charge $40 an hour?"

I guess you need to decide what is important in life. To each his/her own but I gave up on the starving artist deal about 10 years ago.

Ok, sorry for going off subject, carry on.