Too much thumping

Sep 12, 2008
How do I get rid of the thumping in my guitar tone without killing the body, warmth, and bottom? I just can't figure out what frequencies I should be messing with. It's driving me crazy, you can really hear it when I palm mute. It hurts my ears.

It's like the only way I can have no thumping is to sacrifice everything on the low end of the spectrum, which doesn't sound very good :/

Multiband compressor will do the trick, and you can adjust the amount of attenuation to your liking. Little enough to let you still have a proper palm mute, and not a odd-note-that-doesn't-ring-out-but-not-quite-a-palm-mute-either.

Multiband compressor will do the trick, and you can adjust the amount of attenuation to your liking. Little enough to let you still have a proper palm mute, and not a odd-note-that-doesn't-ring-out-but-not-quite-a-palm-mute-either.

Absolutely.

If you're not quite sure how it's done, check out the infamous Sneap Waves C4 preset and start tweaking from there.

Haha, you described the sound I was talking about perfectly1 :p

I thought it might just need compression, I just like to EQ when I can. I'll try what you said, it sounds like exactly what I need to do.