Tool "!0,000 Days"

Lateralus doesn't have any filler (imoomiomioim) at all. Aenima has too much of those joke tracks, but the regular songs pwn. Both albums aged quite well and survived the test of time, i still like them a lot.

I couldn't agree more. I've been sitting here thinking of something to add to your post but...nope...you pretty much nailed it. :kickass:

although, musically, the evolution from Lateralus to 10,000 days is quite minimal, they do each have their unique sounds. Filler is in the eye of the beholder, and I don't think 10,000 Days has any. What I really like about it is its unique flavor- a spice if you will. The melodies the album holds can't really be found anywhere else. Even though the album lacks the emotional intensity and drama of some previous albums, it stands its ground well.

Fuck
maybe the only reason I think the album has that unique spice is because I was listening to it a lot during my two month alcohol binge (not a fun time)

you know how albums do that?
stick to a certain time period of your life and kinda become the soundtrack to it...
god i love it and hate it
it can either ruin an album
or make it the greatest album of all time
haha

ok im done

Well all the albums were musically a huge leap up until this cd, but I still think it's great. Lateralus is still musically the craziest cd they've wrote. Lateralus was all about the crazy patterns.

although, musically, the evolution from Lateralus to 10,000 days is quite minimal, they do each have their unique sounds. Filler is in the eye of the beholder, and I don't think 10,000 Days has any. What I really like about it is its unique flavor- a spice if you will. The melodies the album holds can't really be found anywhere else. Even though the album lacks the emotional intensity and drama of some previous albums, it stands its ground well.

Fuck
maybe the only reason I think the album has that unique spice is because I was listening to it a lot during my two month alcohol binge (not a fun time)

you know how albums do that?
stick to a certain time period of your life and kinda become the soundtrack to it...
god i love it and hate it
it can either ruin an album
or make it the greatest album of all time
haha

ok im done

Oh, I'd say 10,000 days is actually way more emotional then -lets say- Lateralus.
Where lateralus is very abstract (especially concerning the lyrical content) 10,000 is way more personal. The two Wings of Mary parts seem to be about the death of Maynards mom for example. Also in Right in Two Maynard kinda shows his dislike for mankind. So I don't agree with you on that.

But oh how much do I agree with you on the other thing.
I love it when music can bring back good feelings (or bad feelings, but still making it feel comfortable). Too bad sometimes the memories kind of mess the music up yes, but luckely for me that's only in less than 1% of all the music I know

Lateralus sounds far more emotional than 10,000 days to me. There is more twists and mood changes on lateralus afaik, a song like Vicarious or Jambi is kinda hard rocking and groovy all the time while stuff like The Grudge, The Patient and Reflection is full of tension and melancholy, you might be right about the lyrical content, but the music itself sounds less mechanical on Lateralus. Just my point 'o view.

Overall lateralus is by far their most mechanically cold cd besides parabola, and the patient. Lateralus is all about revolving patterns and mechanical proficiency.

Lateralus surely has its emotional moments indeed.
The haunting vocals in Reflection or the melancholic Disposition
But still I think 10,000 days is more emotional, at least more directly emotional

Like Vincent J said, the Wings songs are about the passing of Maynard's mother. I don't know if it gets more emotional than that. Especially 10000 Days/Wings pt 2. Listen to "Judith" from APC then listen to Wings pt 2...

I was speaking on a musical standpoint not a personal one. Personally overall I like lateralus a bit better. Oh well. It's no biggy they all rock.

Didn't mean to get all touchy-feely with you all. :Smug:

On a side note...Push It live off of Salival might be the greatest recorded song ever.

Yep I said it.

Back to !0,000.
Soo, I’m not “the” person who definitely knows something about music and I can’t spell for that matter, nor have I read any reviews on this album (maybe should’ve), but here’s my attachment anyway.
I have to disagree on 10,000 Days not being, a stride technically as would be expected from Tool. What deserve noticing are the unusual and massive formations of compositions on some of the songs, while other tracks stretch the base of the song into its vanishing point. Tool has always done a good job taking their own songs further and this time I also feel fairly enlightened about their self sufficiency. There could be one less of those sound jerking ambience tracks, Viginti Tres. On the other albums the corresponding tracks work impeccably and on this album they apply a nice momentum of flexibility making the package even tighter. Rosetta Stoned is in my liking right now mainly because of the changing time signatures, but the lyrics rock terrorpeutingly too. No, not even ‘nuff said it’s an entity that anoints your soul. Jambi’s good. Wings, Pt. 2 made me cry. The Pot splits my opinion, a beautiful piece but seems an excuse for putting together some of the bands sell-out features. When I reach Right in Two I’m so exhausted I just drift along with the song.

I wouldn't feel confident enough to put the Tool albums into any other order than chronological. (bp: Each one of them has a track or two that have made me weep.) I guess Lateralus has had the deepest impact on me and I wouldn’t describe it as a cold album. I find it a very sensitive journey trough the existence and levels of a human mind. It does have a fine texture of patterns even though it has a lot of 4/4s. Or rather that is the thing that gives it the amount of air needed to bring forward each played part so harmonically. I just love music that makes, what is not played sound more important than what is.

mm, I hope that makes any sense.

Lateralus sounds far more emotional than 10,000 days to me. There is more twists and mood changes on lateralus afaik, a song like Vicarious or Jambi is kinda hard rocking and groovy all the time while stuff like The Grudge, The Patient and Reflection is full of tension and melancholy, you might be right about the lyrical content, but the music itself sounds less mechanical on Lateralus. Just my point 'o view.

yeah thats more what i was talking about...
the hard rock feel of the songs on 10,000 days
of course the lyrical content is deep and emotional
that goes without saying on tool songs