• Kerry King (Slayer)

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Michael Amott (Carcass/Arch Enemy)

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Randy Rhoads

Votes: 17 58.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But soloing is not the only thing that matters, rhythm and songwriting are just as important and Kerry has no problems at all there.

The Mighty Chuck Schuldiner

Adrian Smith

Jerry Cantrell

Michael Amott

Perhaps I could have voted for Vinnie Vincent or Ace Frehley, but then I'n not sure that I've ever heard VV play a single note, and am not familiar with AF's work either. :)

Oh, btw I voted for:

Phil Collen
Adrian Smith
Brian May
Ian Moss
Randy Rhoads

Spawny, you do realise that I was insinuating that Kerry King was a hypocrite when he called We've Come For You All generic, yeah?

Yep, I realise it, but I fail to see how he is a hypocrite for giving his opinion :confused:

I fail to see how :confused: Slayer isnt generic, but theres about 20 bands that could have written WCFYA (Its a brilliant album, but its not exactly original) whereas when slayer play, you know its them straight away.

Well, I suppose they sound like generic Slayer, because thats what they are, but theres no thrash band that sounds like Slayer. They all try to, but fail miserably unfortunately.

Nile sounds the same as stomping in a pile of shit. With someone playing a cool instrumental egyptian track in the background.

Sydo is right. Songwriting has nothing to do with it. The only writing that counts in this poll is the writing/constructing of the guitar solos etc. The ability to write a good song though has nothing to do with your ability as a guitarist.

Bolt Thrower are good in small doses. :)

I like Slayer, but am not a big KK fan. Partly because he's a knob.

Songwriting has nothing to do with it? Hands up who would listen to any of these guys if they had never written any good songs and were just good at playing guitar? Songwriting is EVERYTHING.

You're so stupid sometimes Spawn :lol:

Of course songwriting is EVERYTHING. That's just obvious. But it doesn't mean anything for this POLL!!!! This is a poll for guitar playing talent, not musical or songwriting talent. You don't have to be a good songwriter to be a good guitarist. That's why songwriting has nothing to do with this.

Also that last comment was really weird, lots of lead guitarists are NOT writers but still great guitarists.

This poll is about guitar players. Not songwriters. As such, it should reflect the subject's skill as a guitar player, and not necessarily as a soloist either. James Hetfield is WAYYYY in front of Kirk Hammett at the moment, for example, and Malcolm Young is scoring way more votes than some lead guitar players.

Yeah it doesn't just have to about guitar soloing obviously.

Creativity and skill in writing guitar parts is important, but yeah definitely songwriting is completely different and unrelated to this I think.