Top 20 thrash for 2010

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
These made me band my fuckin' head.

20. Fueled by Fire - Plunging Into Darkness - Their best disk.
19. Abadden - Sentenced to Death. New Uk thrash does the job well.
18. Annihilator – st - Some cool tunes and a few average ones.
17. Sworn Amongst - Severance. Ignored young UK thrash very heavy and punchy. Shame.
16. Untimely Demise - City of Steel. If you like Testament you will like them. Produced by Shawn Drover.
15. The More I See - Tread The Darker Path. Criminally ignored melodic thrash from the UK.
14. Exodus - Exhibit B The Human Condition. Dukes sounds acceptable for once!
13. Nuclear - Jehovirus. Cool Chilean thrash.
12. Hatchery - Forced to Fight. Like this band's style a lot.
11. Soulfly - Omen. Love Soulfly these days since Marc Rizzo joined.
10. Heathen - The Evolution of Chaos. A proper good comeback.
09. Negligence - Coordinates Of Confusion. Mostly unknown melodic thrash.
08. Abuser - Threats of Fate. Cool Italian melodic thrash.
07. Evil Offering - Wake Up For Another Nightmare. Hyper energetic riffs but with bad sound unfortunately but what riffs!
06. Korzus - Discipline of Hate. The heaviest thrash record of the year by a mile.
05. Helstar - Glory of Chaos. This is to my ears miles better than their last album. The production is super tight too.
04. Bonded By Blood - Exiled To Earth. The most intricate and tech sounding thrash of the year. Vocals are super annoying but even that can't stop the non stop headbanging fest.
03. Vindicator - The Antique Witcheries. A real surprise from this bunch of unknowns. You like Megadeth? You like this.
02. Overkill - Ironbound. Hands down my fave Overkill album ever.
01. Suicidal Angels - Dead Again The Greeks wrecked my neck again! landslide victory!

Unfortunately you will notice a lack of Flots, Forbidden and Death Angel in my list for this year. I must be the only thrasher who doesn't like the new Flots not that it's bad but I can't see what the fuss is about. New Forbidden is even worse. Couldn't listen to it much at all. Death Angel is the best of those three but I still didn't really like it.

I'm not a total thrash nut, but it seemed like a strong year for the veterans. The ones that stood out the most to me were some of the ones you didn't like

My #1 is undoubtedly Overkill - Ironbound. It's an awesome disc.

#2 Flotsam and Jetsam - The Cold. Angry and powerful disc.

Everything else was on a lower level, but still enjoyable.

#3 Heathen #4 Forbidden #5 Death Angel

Britt

I am a thrash NUT and you are crazy as hell if you don't like the new Flotsam & Jetsam, Death Angel ...The Forbidden is just ok so I agree with you on that one...

I must be slacking, I only have a two of these albums. Just means I have more shit to check out! I agree though that the Death Angel should be on the list.

I only have:

Soulfly - Omen
Exodus - Exhibit B - The Human Condition

Also forgot to add that I enjoyed the new Dew Scented a lot. That would be on my list.

I pretty much agree with the comment that thrash died in 92. Too much soulless overproduced crap that parrots the aesthetic of bands like Vio-lence and early Overkill but forgets how to write killer riffs. There are a few cool bands these days like Toxic Holocaust, Skeletonwitch, Ghoul, etc, but I can't stand most of this "modern" thrash or "retro" thrash.

This year, we got the new Overkill which RULED.

goddammit why do I have to namedrop

Children of Technology
Korgull the Exterminator
Ramming Speed
Fatal
Sauron
Nekromantheon
Suicidal Angels
Witchaven
Vektor
Razormaze

Could go on and on.

and they say thrash is dead...

Actually, contrary to popular belief, namedropping can be pretty resourceful. This is a perfect instance because I A) have no idea who most of those bands are and B) trust your musical opinion by and large and will now check those bands out.

Hate Suicidal Angels though. Always struck me as German labels trying to sign their own Warbringer (aka a generic retro thrash band that can tour extensively).