Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal Albums of 2005

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
Curious what your lists would be.

Mine, in no particular order, is (I have a hard time making lists...as things change often for me)

1) Deep Purple - Rapture of the Deep

2) Therion - Lemuria/Sirius B (ok I know they are 2 seperate albums. too bad)

3) Dream Theatre - Octavarium

4) Opeth - Ghost Reveries

5) Dark Tranquility - Character

---

5 is always hard. And honestly, I didn't get to listen to many of the albums that came out.

On a side note... while people here may gut me for saying this, I love Avenged Sevefold's City of Evil * Disturbed's Ten Thousand Fists

Riverside - Second Life Syndrome
Stream of Passion - Embrace the Storm
Circus Maximus - The 1st Chapter
Allen / Lande - The Battle
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor

Cheiron said:
On a side note... while people here may gut me for saying this, I love Avenged Sevefold's City of Evil * Disturbed's Ten Thousand Fists
Disturbed is a decent enough band. But you definitely deserve to have your inards extracted with a spoon for liking A7. They couldn't suck more ass with a straw.

Zod

Hard to just list 5 but here's some I liked:

Judas Priest - ANGEL OF RETRIBUTION
Astral Doors - EVIL IS FOREVER
Jaded Heart - HELLUVA TIME
Pagan's Mind - ENIGMATIC CALLING
Vision Divine - THE PERFECT MACHINE

While I find Avenged Sevenfold's first two albums to be abysmal American hardcore CRAP, City of Evil has its moments and is not an entirely throwaway album. I still wouldn't see them live, or support them in any significant way. :)

1. Redemption - Fullness of Time
2. Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
...the clear choices, imo, after that...

As for A7, the stuff I've heard off City of Evil is not bad, at all. The singer leaves something to be desired, but the playing is quite tasty at times.

I don't care what anyone says, these are MY choices and MY opinions, therefore if you don't like it, eat me. :zombie:

Trivium - Ascendancy
Hellfueled - Volume One
Biomechanical - Empires of the World
Children of Bodom - Are You Dead Yet
Avenged Sevenfold - City of Evil

Regor said:
I don't care what anyone says, these are MY choices and MY opinions, therefore if you don't like it, eat me. :zombie:

Trivium - Ascendancy
Hellfueled - Volume One
Biomechanical - Empires of the World
Children of Bodom - Are You Dead Yet
Avenged Sevenfold - City of Evil

That's the great thing about music. Nobody can tell you you are wrong. Well.... except for General Zod >_>

And yeah I just listened to Children of Bodom today. It almost felt like In Flames of old... almost.

The first four on my list are pretty interchangeable as I think they're 4 of my favorite albums ever released... the Mars Volta's latest could be up there too... but despite plenty of brilliance... it has many flaws as well... they could've dropped 15 minutes of experimental noise from the disc

1. Riverside - "Second Life Syndrome"
2. Sieges Even - "The Art of Navigating by the Stars"
3. Porcupine Tree - "Deadwing"
4. Dredg - "Catch Without Arms"
5. The Mars Volta - "Frances the Mute"

1. Porcupine Tree- Deadwing
2. Ulver- Blood Inside
3. Antimatter- Planetary Confinement
4. The Mars Volta- Frances The Mute
5. Los Hermanos - 4
6. Dredg- Catch Without Arms, since none of you know Los hermanos anyway :)

01) Stream of Passion - Embrace the Storm: Once again, musical mastermind Arjen Anthony Lucassen has delivered album of the year for me. There is something about this guy's songwriting that just hits the right note with me. Like Jon Oliva, everything the guy writes tickles my eardrums.

02) Kamelot - The Black Halo: I've always had to be in a certain "mood" to listen to Kamelot, but this album broke through that barrier. I'll admit this album didn't do much for me early on, but around the 10th listen it started clicking for me. Now, it's an album I can put in anytime and enjoy it. Their best so far IMO.

03) Astral Doors - Evil is Forever: What can I say? Astral Doors is a prime example of the kind of music Mr. Dio SHOULD be putting out these days, instead of the lifeless songs of recent years. To me AD sounds like Dio-era Rainbow on steroids. This pleases my ears greatly!

04) Beyond Twilight - Section X: Jorn Lande may have left the band, but the replacement singer didn't miss a step! An impressive feat to say the least. Awesome prog/power metal IMO.

05) Pantommind - Shade of Fate: I don't know what it is about this album, it's mostly your standard prog metal affair, but the voice and tone of the album intrigues me and keeps me coming back. The songwriting is quite impressive as well.

Whew! I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking "Say, weren't those two Therion disks a little older?"

My list, as of this hour, check back later for stuff I forgot about :):

Opeth, Ghost Reveries
Nile, Annihilation of the Wicked
Nevermore, This Godless Endeavour
Porcupine Tree, Deadwing
Scar Symmetry, Symmetric In Design (this was 2005, right?)

1.Kamelot-The Black Halo
2.Circus Maximus-The First Chapter
3.Opeth-Ghost Reveries
4.Pagan's Mind-Enigmatic Calling
5.Dream Theater-Octavarium

:Smokin: :Smokin: :Smokin: :Smokin: :Smokin: :Smokin: :Smokin: :Smokin:

Sumeet said:
Not only are they two separate albums, they're both 2004 releases! :Smug: :)

oops.

BTW. Kamelot's Black Halo... musically I love it. Lyrically its horrible. For example, "Why, my god, have you abandoned me, in my sobriety?!!"

I think that's a profound line, and not bad at all. It exemplifies the way that humanity feels God has ignored them, that in sobriety - in seriousness - , perhaps we abandon God as well, and only believe when in a state we see as "madness". Lyrically the Black Halo disc is strong imo.

I had a hard time trying to narrow it down to only five, so I had to choose ten...sorry guys (Also, some of these may have not been released in 2005, I am late sometimes) . :loco:

1. Despised Icon - The Healing Process
2. Behemoth - Demigod
3. The Black Dahlia Murder - Miasma
4. From A Second Sotry Window - Not One Word Has Been Omitted
5. The Red Chord - Clients
6. Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked
7. Mortician - Re-Animated Dead Flesh
8. The Locust - Plaugue Soundscapes
9. Gorerotted - A New Dawn for the Dead
10. Cephalic Carnage - Anomalies