Looking for lists of albums/songs hard rock/metal

Shed1

New Metal Member
Mar 27, 2017
Hi everyone! First of all, a little introduction because it never hurts: I've been a music aficionado for about a decade, metal/hard and others, with a pretty large range going from the cheesiest 80s pop to the most experimental, even atonal and dissonant, including free jazz or stuff like Sonic Youth; this includes part (but not all) of hard and metal. Generally old school stuff (understand, up to the beginnings of the 90s, more or less), as I have difficulties with more extreme styles which have been fashionable since the rise of Death Metal and similars. To give you an idea of my tastes, my favourite album is My Bloody Valentine's Loveless, and my favourite song David Sylvian's "Orpheus". Pretty far from hard and metal! There's also stuff like the Velvet Underground or the aforementioned Sonic Youth, alongside Iron Maiden, Queensrÿche or Aerosmith. And many others, my range is very large as I already stated.

Anyway, I've been a regular contributor for years to the community of the website Acclaimedmusic.net, excellent even if a tad austere in terms of appearance, which led many of my musical explorations. The website is a list-aggregator, including lists from music professionals or semi-professionals; with the rule of excluding all readers polls-based lists, even if these can be interesting for specialized styles, for more generalist styles the author estimates that polls tend to favour albums with important commercial success, no matter the actual, objective quality of the works. It's a postulate that has been discussed, in numerous debates on the site's forum, but that's a founding one of the website. Well... The lists are posted on the website's forum by whoever wants, the author is counting on the community to develop the selection (today 3000 albums, 6000 songs and many "bubblers"!).

With time, I've been struck by the scarceness of the representation for metal and hard, with a few big names accumulating entries (AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Metallica...) with most of the remaining production being forgotten, even though I knew from experience that there were many lists from journalists and other authors online in the style. In a geek move, I went hunting, and brought back a pretty good haul which should help the genre whenever the update will add these lists to those already existing
bonjour.gif

However, searching only the Internet has its limits. I'm now calling for external help to help me find more lists. Particularly, I've heard of the following that I can't find:

- Ideal metal discography from French mag Hard Force, issued in n°48 of August 1999.
- The 81 best albums of 1981, from a special issue of December 2011 of Brazilian mag Roadie Crew (Os 81 melhores discos de 1981).
- I 100 migliori dischi di Thrash Metal, NWOBHM and AOR from Tsunami Edizioni (Italian books).
- Rock Hard (German edition): The 500 best albums in Hard Rock and Metal aka Hard Rock Enzyklopedia aka Die 500 stärksten Scheiben aller Zeiten (issued in 2005, apparently)
- Rock Hard (French edition): ideal metaltheque, in the compilatory updated version of late 2016 (special issue).

I've already found many other lists from Kerrang, Loudwire, Decibel Mag, Hard Rock Mag, Roadie Crew, books from editors Camion Blanc, Tsunami, Le Mot et le Reste, French author Christian Eudeline, Martin Popoff, "Choosing Death", "Visual Rock Perfect Disc Guide 500", and many others. But the aforementioned ones I can't find, and I'm asking first around if someone owns them and can send them to me before considering buying them. Thanks in advance for the potential help
clin_oeil.gif