Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal Albums of 2005

Dream Theater - Octavarium
Circus Maximus - The 1st Chapter
Stride - Imagine
James LaBrie- Elements of Persuasion
Allen/Lande - The Battle

Pellaz said:
Uh-oh..... Is 11 Dreams a 2005 or 2004 release? I'd swear it's been around for a lot longer than a year.....

If it's 2005, then I might have to file an amended return. :)
Yes, it came out 2004 elsewhere in the world, and yes i could have got it on import, but Century Media put it out in 05, so i stick by it :D

If you want to argue that (by the way, Samael's Reign of Light also came out '04 in the rest of the world, but feb '05 in the states) then scratch those two and add Nevermore - Godless Endeavor and Scar Symmetry - Symmetric in Design

hrm, in my humble opinion

1) Royal Hunt- Paper Blood
2) Kamelot- The Black Halo
3) Opeth- Ghost Reveries
4) Steve Vai- Real Illusions
5) Arcturus- Sideshow Symphonies

Probably no one to agree with me on this but:
Tristania - Ashes.

Others I can think of have already been listed a lot.
Kamelot - Black Halo
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Stream of Passion - Embrace the Storm

Unless I overlooked it, surprised I didn't see any Demons & Wizards. Though the album kind of dissapointed me overall so I guess a lot could feel that way.

eh i have a hard time remembering what albums came out...so heres 5 in no order off top of my head :erk:

1.Kamelot-The Black Halo
2.Circus Maximus-The First Chapter
3.Nevermore- Godless Endeavor
4.Bruce Dickinson- Tyranny Of Souls
5. Brainstorm- Liquid Monster

My top 5 for '05, in no actual order:
  • Dickinson - Tyranny of Souls - No new ground broken, but just an overall great album
  • Kamelot - Black Halo - One of their best
  • Redemption - The Fullness of Time - I liked the first. This one blows it away
  • Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution - Can someone say "solid"? I knew you could.
  • Circus Maximus - 1st Chapter - Made even better by seeing them live. Awesome harmonies.
Steve in Philly

In no particular order:

Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
Riverside - Second Life Syndrome
Communic - Conspiracy in Mind
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Kamelot - The Black Halo

:headbang:

Cheiron said:
Curious what your lists would be.

Mine, in no particular order, is (I have a hard time making lists...as things change often for me)

1) Deep Purple - Rapture of the Deep

2) Therion - Lemuria/Sirius B (ok I know they are 2 seperate albums. too bad)

3) Dream Theatre - Octavarium

4) Opeth - Ghost Reveries

5) Dark Tranquility - Character

---

5 is always hard. And honestly, I didn't get to listen to many of the albums that came out.

On a side note... while people here may gut me for saying this, I love Avenged Sevefold's City of Evil * Disturbed's Ten Thousand Fists

Deep Purple is one of my favorite bands but I have been extremly dissapointed with the last 2

5) Motley Crue - Red White and Crue It's Motley Fucking Crue. Any need to say more? :headbang: Actually listen to disc 2 more than disc 1. Couldn't believe how much I actually loved the Corabi stuff once I gave it real chance.

4) Disturbed - 10,000 Fists Hate the title love the album. Been a huge Disturbed fan since The Sickness.

3) Nevermore - This Godless Endevour Bought this the day it came out on my way to Gigantour in Sacramento CA. Sentient 6 alone makes this album better than 98% of the releases in 2005. Just not quite as good as my top 2....but it was close.

2) Soilwork - Stabbing the Drama Absolutely brillaint album. Just the right balance of Melodic and Death. Heavy and agressive music filled with fantastic hooks. A near perfect album

1) Mercenary - 11 Dreams I know I know it's 2004 release but I didn't get it until 2005. And I listened to this album more than any other last year. Absolutely fucking blew me away.

Honorable mentions: Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution, Dream Theater Octavarium, Scar Symmetry - Symmetric in Design, Opeth - Ghost Reveries, Porcupine Tree - Deadwing, Mudvayne - Lost and Found, As I Lay Dying - Shadows are Security, Avenged Sevenfold - City of Evil, Circus Maximus - 1st Chapter, System of a Down - Mesmerize

And in the non-Metal Genres so as to completely destroy what little credibility I had left :lol: :

Kelly Clarkson - Breakaway, Fall Out Boy - From Under the Cork Tree, The All American Reject - Move Along, Black Eyed Peas - Monkey Business, Dave Mathews Band - Stand Up

Later
Phil