Top 5 Keyboard Albums?

Postulate

Have a nice day! :)
Jul 17, 2008
Can we get some lists going? I'd like to see what you guys think, and maybe we can all get recommendations from each other.

I'm only putting 5 because I feel like I'd just be listing forever if I didn't, and I'd really like to know which albums people think have the best keyboard performances, not just good ones.

(0) Symphony X - V: The New Mythology Suite
I figure this is like the free bingo space for anyone on this board - you don't have to count it! Michael Pinnella's playing is a real treat.

(1) IQ - The Seventh House
Martin Orford. He has two roles: as a decorative keyboardist and a soloist. He does both incredibly on this album - the whole band plays their heart out, but Martin really steals the show. Incredible stuff.

(2) Fates Warning - A Pleasant Shade of Gray
Kevin Moore. One of a kind.

(3) Genesis - Selling England by the Pound
Tony Banks. In particular, "The Cinema Show" and "Firth of Fifth." The former in particular being maybe the quintessential prog keyboard solo.

(4) Hugh Hopper and Alan Gowen - Two Rainbows Daily
Alan Gowen. Mini-moog heaven, absolutely delicious.

(5) Egg - The Civil Surface
Dave Stewart. Tasteful but fiendishly complex playing - in particular, "Ennegram."

I take it most people would be familiar with (2) and (3), but ah well, they really do deserve to be in there.

Nice thread. I approve your ranking V as above top 5.

Assuming of course that we're talking prog/metal here:

0) Symphony X - V

1) Planet X - Moonbabies
What can I say? A masterpiece.

2) Planet X - Quantum
Another prog-nerd heaven. One of my all time favorites.

3) Derek Sherinian - Inertia
Okay so obviously he's my favorite prog/metal keyboardist. I love all of his solo works so it's a little hard to pick just one.

4) Symphony X - Twilight in Olympus
Kinda hesitating between this and DWOT. TiO is kinda less heavy and the keyboard work emerges beautifully, whereas DWOT has masterpieces such as The Accolade where Pinnella also shines.

5) Dream Theater - Images and Words
The keyboard work in this album contributes significantly to making it the timeless classic that it is.

V, Twilight, Divine Wings, The Odyssey, and... I dunno about a fifth. Yeah, my tastes are quite limited. I just love Pinnella's style so much that other keyboardists usually fail to impress me.

Are there any keyboardists (or bands) that use the keyboard style Symphony X used on their earlier albums? You know, the polymetric piano-line-not-in-time-with-anything-else style heard in songs like Communion and Rediscovery? Cause I love that shit.

V, Twilight, Divine Wings, The Odyssey, and... I dunno about a fifth. Yeah, my tastes are quite limited. I just love Pinnella's style so much that other keyboardists usually fail to impress me.

Are there any keyboardists (or bands) that use the keyboard style Symphony X used on their earlier albums? You know, the polymetric piano-line-not-in-time-with-anything-else style heard in songs like Communion and Rediscovery? Cause I love that shit.

That's cheating! :lol:

I'm not sure of another keyboardist that plays quite like Mr. Pinnella, but there are quite a few keys players that I would rank just as highly for other reasons.

That's Alan Gowen

That's Martin Orford (all of the elements of this song are amazing)

2) Planet X - Quantum
Another prog-nerd heaven. One of my all time favorites.
Agreed, love this album as well.

I also love the keyboard here, very unique:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ayreon - Universal Migrator
Just an incredible atmosphere. Really brings the story to life and makes the whole concept work.

Journey - Raised On Radio
Beautiful, tasteful playing. The best use of keyboards I've ever heard on a pop/rock album.

Camel - Mirage
Great melodies. I'm not too into 70s prog, but this is one of the albums that I can always enjoy.

APSOG and V would be the others in my top 5.

5) Dream Theater - Images and Words
The keyboard work in this album contributes significantly to making it the timeless classic that it is.

Derek and Rudess have done an amazing job in DT...But nothing tops Kevin Moore's overall performance in this album. 'Pull Me Under' is of course, awesome. There is some feeling in 'Take the Time' though that I feel like Derek and Rudess are chasing after, but falling just short of...

1) Emerson Lake and Palmer .- Brain Salad Surgery
Anything ELP is on my top 5 (except Love Beach) but Brain Salad Surgery is where Keith Emerson was at his best.

In no specific order:

2) Dream Theater. Scenes from a Memory

3) Yes. Close to the Edge

4) Rudess Morgenstein Project.

5) Planet X. - Universe

1) Emerson Lake and Palmer .- Brain Salad Surgery
Anything ELP is on my top 5 (except Love Beach) but Brain Salad Surgery is where Keith Emerson was at his best.

In no specific order:

2) Dream Theater. Scenes from a Memory

3) Yes. Close to the Edge

4) Rudess Morgenstein Project.

5) Planet X. - Universe
Yeah, I couldn't have said 1-3 better myself. Still need to hear Rudess Morgenstein, and I have a lot of Planet X to delve into D: