Top five sets of the weekend?

Fixxer315

May 4, 2012
I've done a brief overview of each day as it came, so now let me offer up my thoughts as to who were my favorites of the weekend:

Honorable mention: Haken: They just barely missed the list, but their Wednesday night set was amazing. Once I heard they were doing Visions live, I picked up the album and really enjoyed it. The live performance was every bit as awesome.

5: Angel Dust: Technical problems kept this set from being ranked higher, but it was an amazing set that got better as the band progressed. After the band split in the early 2000's, I was disappointed that I'd never get to hear songs like Bleed, Follow Me or Cross of Hatred live, so now I can cross them off my bucket list.

4: Amaranthe: Didn't know much about them a year ago, but was impressed by the clip in last year's PPUSA preview video. I picked up Nexus, followed by Maximize and Massive Addictive and was even more impressed to the point where they became one of the bands I was most looking forward to, and they did not disappoint. They gave a very high-energy performance, and Nils did a great job with the clean vocals, perhaps better than Jake E ever did.

3: Orphaned Land: While I heard the name, I knew almost nothing about them until Wednesday's performance. They tore the place down and made me think that perhaps down the road they'll be a headliner for the festival. I picked up their latest album All is One at the Impulse merchandise table, and will be checking out the rest of their catalog at some point.

2: Metal Church: I had seen them several times back in the day, whether it was opening up for Metallica in 1992 or headlining the Thirsty Whale in Chicago in 1993 (or was it 94)? They were one of the bands I was most looking forward to, and they gave an amazing mix of classic and new Metal Church songs. I was particularly impressed by Mike Howe, who sounded as good as ever. In fact, if I closed my eyes, I could have sworn it was 1992 all over again, especially on songs such as Watch the Children Pray and Gods of Second Chance.

1: Mike Portnoy: As I commented in an earlier thread, I was a bit cautious about his set going in. Although his set was going to consist of all DT material, I wasn't sure if the band was up to it. I should never underestimate this guy again, as they delivered on every level. I won't go so far as to say they were better than DT, but they certainly matched them in terms of live performance. Plus, as an added bonus, almost all of the set consisted of songs I had never seen live before--with the exception of Root of All Evil and Home. And some of the songs seemed to take on added dimensions live--such as Finally Free, which was never one of my favorite DT songs, but almost had me in tears due to the emotional performance from the band. Finally, watching Mike was fun, because he certainly had a blast doing those songs again. Let's hope that he continues with this project--at least every now and then.

So, who would you rank as your top performances of the weekend and why?

Last edited:
Myrath - just WOW
Orphaned Land - hypnotizing
Seven Spires - thrilled to see this young Boston band make most of opportunity
Snowy Shaw - incredible
Serenity - just great live band

No disrespect to the rest, probably my favorite 4 day line-up yet.

1. Shattered fortress.

Though I didn't prefer the vocals to James labrie, the band delivered everything I could have hoped for. The set list was perfect, and I got to see one of the most inspirational drummers of my life whom I've followed for 20 years doing my favourite material. Can't argue that Dream Theater would have delivered anything more, instrumentally.

2. Tie - Dynazty/Lords of Black
How do I pick between my two favourite vocalists? Both stellar performances, great set lists. I listened to Salvation 5 times on my way home after Dynazty closed with it. And the bass solo blew me away. Took me 2 looks to realize Dynaztys drummer doesn't play a double kick, he does paradiddles hand/foot on a floor tom. Very unique, cool sound, loved it. Got to speak briefly with Ronnie Romero in the hall, he was very modest and down to earth. Hope both bands tour NA someday soon.

4. metal church
Only a moderate fan of their studio stuff, but live put on a masterclass of heavy shit. Drummer was so tight and looking relaxed was a pleasure to watch. Surprise of the week.

5. Myrath
Great presence. Love their sound. No disappointment.

Many, many great performances, but...

Myrath + Shattered Fortress - possibly my favorite 4-hour time span in 12 years of attending the festival.
Orphaned Land & Amaranthe - two bands I never expected to be in my "top 5" list...but amazing energy and musicianship.
Vanden Plas - although I wish they would've cut the intro and played one more live song.

No order:

Angel Dust
Metal Church
Pain
Katatonia
Portnoy

Amaranthe would be on there, but both the original male singers fit the music so much better than these guys, especially the growler.

Favorite sets of 2017

1. HAKEN- such a high level of musicianship. These guys are amazing. The vocals are dead on. Ross is a gem. This band is going to be a return band for years to come.

2. METAL CHURCH- The Mighty Mike Howe. Ageless. his voice is a dynamo. All of the range of his youth and boundless energy

3. Twilight Force- Not my thing personally, but they are so fun onstage and a powerful presence that I had to put them here

4. SEVEN SPIRES- I didn't know much about this band. I heard the cd and was not overly impressed. They blew me away! 3 days notice and no rehearsals, they were tight and Adrienne Cowan was fucking amazing! They made a new fan

5. DAYDREAM XI- I had the discs and knew what I was to expect. They were tight and it was nice to see the response they got. I was just a little disappointed in the set list

1. Haken
2. Mike Portnoy
3. Myrath
4. Distorted Harmony
5. Snowy Shaw

Hard to whittle the list down to just 5

5: Orphaned Land
4: Pain
3: Mike Portnoy
2: Myrath
1: Katatonia

Honorable Mention: Serenity