Top songs for 2003

Black Winter Day said:
i need to get "no exit" on cd... think i will do that tomorrow! i used to have ot on cassette a lonnnng time ago, but god only knows where it is now. i also had the first solitude aeternus on tape, i think that one is still in my dad's car!

No Exit is one of their absolute best. However, Metal Blade seriously needs to get that re-mastered. That and Awaken the Guardian need to be the next on their list of re-masters. Especially No Exit though, the volume is ridiculously low compared to other releases.

As for Solitude Aeturnus, again, got 'em all. The first one is a cd-r though, but the cover is color copied looks good, sounds good, so I'm happy. That band is fantastic live.

i love FW and SA... remind me of the good old days for some reason. some bands just do that for me (i guess because it was the stuff i was listening to back then). wow, i need to put in "awaken the guardian" right now! hey, maybe when we get done with these promos (coughcough), we can review some stuff (you do "no exit" and i do "awaken..." possibly?)

Black Winter Day said:
i love FW and SA... remind me of the good old days for some reason. some bands just do that for me (i guess because it was the stuff i was listening to back then). wow, i need to put in "awaken the guardian" right now! hey, maybe when we get done with these promos (coughcough), we can review some stuff (you do "no exit" and i do "awaken..." possibly?)

Actually, you should go read my No Exit review right now... :p it's been up for awhile. Have you heard the new John Arch cd?

I too am a progmetalfan who dismisses the Arch-era FW albums... I'm really more of a Zonder-era Fates fan... "Still Remains" is one of my favorite songs ever... There are a few Arch-era songs I like... like "Guardian"... whose greatness can't be denied... but most of it just doesn't appeal to me... the absence of Zonder's drumming just makes it a painful experience! "No Exit" does need an overhaul, as Demonspell said. The sound is just godawful! I haven't checked out the Arch ep yet... but I'm not a fan of his voice... and the 5 minute clip I heard didn't really seem interesting. It has been getting rave reviews however. But the prospect of more Portnoy drumming is really putting me off (though he did do an excellent job in an understated role on OSI)

Iron Maiden gets constant praise from progmetalfans. They're more dismissed by progrockfans. Maiden was my favorite band for many years... but I haven't listened to them much the last few years.

Solitude Aeternus... I like some of their stuff... "Shattered My Spirit" is brilliant and Rob Lowe is an excellent vocalist.

I think Steve Zimmerman's drumming gave them some of that raw/underground vibe.. and Arch's voice, I will agree is an acquired taste, but you really must hear the full track, "Relentless," from the new EP.

I love Portnoy, what do you have against him. The new Dream Theater is in my Top 10 and climbing with each listen. "Endless Sacrifice" is one of the best songs all year long.

My top song of 2003 is:

Mortician - Darkest Day of Horror

To mention that in my first post here is probably a mistake. Now I'll be labelled as an idiot for all eternity.

:lol: You deserve at least a welcome for that comment. :wave:

Were I to name one song as best of 2003, I think now I'm going with Kayo Dot - The Manifest Curiosity.