Top Ten Melodic Death Metal Albums

No problem...I guess. Even I find that album rather hard to "genre-ify", and I have spent a couple years wrapping my head around genre conceptions and how bands fit into their certain styles.

Later Amorphis is borderline prog/folk/hard rock, sometimes kind of metal-ish.

That's how M-A classifies it (the later stuff anyway). The stuff from Elegy on forward should not be classified as death metal

Yeah, I agree with that definitely. Although I do think the last two records have begun to take that turn again. Some of the songs have a mad death metal sound.

No problem...I guess. Even I find that album rather hard to "genre-ify", and I have spent a couple years wrapping my head around genre conceptions and how bands fit into their certain styles.

Later Amorphis is borderline prog/folk/hard rock, sometimes kind of metal-ish.

I'd actually say their most recent albums have some death metal to them, don't you think? Songs like Perkele, A Servant, and Leaves Scar really sound like death metal. But still, some of the songs have very little or no harsh vocals. That, and the folk element is really prevalent. I guess that does make them really hard to classify.

P.S. I'm really not trying to reopen what we were discussing yesterday, I'm just curious what you think.

Harsh vocals don't make something death metal. Those songs you mentioned don't really have very much of a death metal sound other than the "vocals" which only kind of give the illusion of extremity tbh. I guess Perkele is almost death metal-ish. Great song.

Harsh vocals don't make something death metal. Those songs you mentioned don't really have very much of a death metal sound other than the "vocals" which only kind of give the illusion of extremity tbh. I guess Perkele is almost death metal-ish. Great song.

Yeah, it's an awesome song. I think that A Servant is close to death metal too. It's just that when I listen to those songs sometimes they remind me of Amon Amarth, what with the guitar melodies and all. But you're right about harsh vocals, I know they don't constitute death metal. I should have made myself clearer. I definitely think the recent records are closer to their old school sound than the stuff between Elegy and Far From the Sun, though. Or perhaps more appropriately, a blend of the two. Either way, I like them a lot more than Am Universum and Far From the Sun.

In Flames - The Jester Race
Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
At The Gates - With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness
Amon Amarth - The Crusher
Fear My Thoughts - Hell Sweet Hell, even if the lyrics/album title are awful
Insomnium - Since the Day it All Came Down
Amorphis - Eclipse, not rly melo death at all but oh well
Kalmah - Swamp Song
Soilwork - The Chainheart Machine
Carcass - Heartwork, again not really melo-death but yeah.

I don't think Orphaned Land are Melodic Death Metal.
No...they use a lot of melody, but I'd say they're more folk than melodic death...
Who even likes CoB anymore?
Their older stuff doesn't really bother me...I never choose to listen to it - there's always something I'd rather hear.

Guys, don´t pretend that "melo-death" is a genre different from "melodic death metal". "Melo-Death" is nothing but a short name for the genre. And don´t go around saying: "But Melo-Death is stuff like Soilwork and later In Flames, and Melodic Death Metal is like old stuff, like In Flames - The Jester Race and At The Gate´s - Slaughter of the Soul"
If you wanna call later In Flames and Soilwork something else than melodic death metal, then fucking do it, don´t call it "melo-death" and claim that "melo-death" is different than "melodic-death".
It´s like saying that R-tard is different from retard, and that BTW is different than "by the way".

Anyway, here are my favorite 10 metal albums with some melodic death metal influences:
2. Follow the Reaper - Children of Bodom
4. Reroute to Remain - In Flames
5. Revolver - The Haunted
Having those in your list negates anything you have to say.

No...they use a lot of melody, but I'd say they're more folk than melodic death...

Their older stuff doesn't really bother me...I never choose to listen to it - there's always something I'd rather hear.

Having those in your list negates anything you have to say.

Dude, Reroute to Remain kicks ass. Definitely my favorite IF album next to Whoracle

Though, I have no idea why anyone would want to listen to The Haunted past the second album.

R2R is my least favorite. I like Trigger and Cloud Connected, and I can tolerate the first 2 songs. And that's it - everything else is painful to listen to.

Listen to The Jester Race, Whoracle, The Gallery, Slaughter of the Soul, then listen to some random Death Metal albums, you´ll see the difference.

Who would want to listen to those pieces of shit?(excluding The Gallery) The Jester Race and Whoracle are shit, only good In Flames is Lunar Strain and Subterranean. 2nd of all, SOTS blows compared to early ATG (TRITSIO and WFIKTBD).

I'm going to make a rec just to sum all this up. I've said this before and ignore me if you have already done this, but you people need to check out Dawn of Dreams - Daylight Awakening, kudos to V5 for recommending this in the first place.

It's crap imo also :p
Definitely agreed.

Septic Flesh - Sumerian Daemons
Detonation - Emission Phase
Arsis - A Celebration of Guilt
Insomnium - Since the Day It All Came Down
Omnium Gatherum - Of Spirits and August Light
Amoral - Reptile Ride
Eucharist - Mirrorworlds
Dark Lunacy - The Diarist
Epoch of Unlight - The Continuum Hypothesis
Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
Suidakra - Signs for the Fallen (best of what I've heard of them, anyways)

Check out Schaliach - Sonrise for something more similar to the old school Swedish death metal (very doomy as well). It's one of the few truly good and respectable Christian death metal albums, and the only one of this style at all. Very very highly recommended.

schaliach.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/schaliach

Guys, don´t pretend that "melo-death" is a genre different from "melodic death metal". "Melo-Death" is nothing but a short name for the genre. And don´t go around saying: "But Melo-Death is stuff like Soilwork and later In Flames, and Melodic Death Metal is like old stuff, like In Flames - The Jester Race and At The Gate´s - Slaughter of the Soul"
If you wanna call later In Flames and Soilwork something else than melodic death metal, then fucking do it, don´t call it "melo-death" and claim that "melo-death" is different than "melodic-death".
It´s like saying that R-tard is different from retard, and that BTW is different than "by the way".

Actually,even if it´s meant as a short name for melodic death metal you could use the two different names to separate the two kinds;i´ve never heard anyone 10 years ago who called it melo-death,that is a name which has become popular only relatively recently,mostly among younger american fans of the newer bands.

Who would want to listen to those pieces of shit?(excluding The Gallery) The Jester Race and Whoracle are shit, only good In Flames is Lunar Strain and Subterranean. 2nd of all, SOTS blows compared to early ATG (TRITSIO and WFIKTBD).
Anything with a decent production isn't tr00 enough?

Actually,even if it´s meant as a short name for melodic death metal you could use the two different names to separate the two kinds;i´ve never heard anyone 10 years ago who called it melo-death,that is a name which has become popular only relatively recently,mostly among younger american fans of the newer bands.
...because it describes a style that has emerged only recently.

I dunno why everyone hates on The Jester Race. It's a very competent album, chock full of the trademark Boston-esque dual guitar harmonies and some brilliant songwriting.