Desert Island Albums

I'd agree with that comparison to a pretty decent extent, but I still think it falls short of how cool it could be (the concept is nice!).

In no order....

Nile-Annihilation of the wicked
Darkthrone- A Blaze in the Northern Sky
Black Sabbath-Paranoid
Black Sabbath-Heaven and Hell
Testament-Practice what you Preach
Slayer-Hell Awaits
Blind Guardian- Nightfall in Middle Earth
Iron Maiden-Number of the Beast
Led zeppelin 2
Pink Floyd-The wall

Fuck that was hard

Damn dude, no offense, but I think those are some of the worst albums by some (not all) of those bands. I have yet to hear the Darkthrone album in it's entirety though, but I was sent a couple of tracks from it.

Heathen - Victims of Deception
Skinless - Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead
Judas Priest - Painkiller
Artillery - By Inheritance
Alice in Chains - st
Death Angel - The Ultra-Violence
Cryptopsy - None so Vile
Intestine Baalism - Banquet in the Darkness
Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten
Vomit Remnants - Supreme Vehemence

Interesting choice for a Dan album...

...heard any of their others by any chance? :)

I personally think The Royal Scam is amazing. The only other one I am actually familiar with is Aja, which I also love. Other than that I have heard them on the radio forever, and also have "A Decade of...", which is a good greatest hits collection.

So what do you favor by them? I feel like I would like to get into more of their stuff, but I got another one once and it was kinda weird.

I checked it. thanks. so you're selling me that album? if so, awesome.

yeah, plus free mp3 dvd as well. the cd is a reissue but even the reissue is becoming hard to find. i'll hold it for you until u get the money, if that helps. tell me if u want me to hold it, if you're ready to pay, or not interested anymore in the PM box. :kickass:

I personally think The Royal Scam is amazing. The only other one I am actually familiar with is Aja, which I also love. Other than that I have heard them on the radio forever, and also have "A Decade of...", which is a good greatest hits collection.

So what do you favor by them? I feel like I would like to get into more of their stuff, but I got another one once and it was kinda weird.

I guess The Royal Scam isn't really that bad, but it's generally considered one of their weaker albums. There are a few dull songs on there (i.e. "The Fez", "Haitian Divorce", "Everything You Did").

Come to think of it, Aja wasn't all that interesting after the first three or four songs, but those beginning songs are just fucking incredible. I doubt anyone has ever written rock music that's as smooth, elegant, and classy as the material on there.

I think their most solid albums from beginning to end are Countdown to Ecstasy, Pretzel Logic, and Katy Lied. And my favorite would probably be Countdown. One thing that's nice about it is that it has a lot of energy, which is pretty rare in their discog.

Which other album of theirs did you get that you thought was weird?

^
I like all the songs you listed, though Everything You Did is probably my least favorite. I like Haitian Divorce quite a bit. It's a little strange, but I enjoy it. I love the voicebox guitar effect (or is that a wah?). The story is enjoyable too. The Fez is classic, if a bit weak.

Besides that, Kid Charlamange is an amazing song. Don't Take Me Alive is probably my favorite. Intense and tragic and the vocal performance is especially emotive at times. The title track is epic and dark. I love this album!

I think it must have been Katey Lied, or maybe it was Countdown. I just remember some silly sounding songs. Maybe it was Bad Sneakers or Your Gold Teeth. I don't know that I gave it many listens. I was looking for something darker or whatever, with a mood more like Aja or TRS.

It may also be my familiarity. My step-dad used to play Aja and TRS all the time when I was young. His theme song was Deacon Blues (another tragic song...they are good at that), which (obviously) made my mom sad. I didn't really like it then, but now I love them.

So thanks for the recs. I will check them out.

Yeah, as far as I'm concerned Steely Dan really don't have any bad albums (although they did start doing R&B in the 2000's... :err:). The three albums from the '76 to '80 period are a bit patchy I think, but you can still find classic songs on each of them.

If it's the darkness in Steely Dan that you like, then Royal Scam and Aja are probably the best you're going to find. Most of their other material is slightly more poppish, though of course they all have that sarcastic quality in the lyrics/vocals that gives their songs real depth.

"Your Gold Teeth" and "Bad Sneakers" are both pretty awesome imo, so if you have either of their respective studio albums, I highly recommend giving it another listen. :)

Oddly enough, I also got a lot of exposure to Dan through my dad when I was younger - and didn't care much for them until I started exploring them on my own just last year. My dad listened to a lot of awesome classic rock back in the day, and I'm kinda glad I came to absorb some of his taste in music, if that did in fact happen.

Well, I'm new here and this thread is just great:

1 - Dimmu Borgir - Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia
2 - Mastodon - Leviathan
3 - Isis - Panopticon
4 - Iron Maiden - Powerslave
5 - Megadeth - Rust in Peace
6 - Darkthrone - Hate Them
7 - Arch Enemy - Anthems of Rebellion
8 - Marduk - Rom 5:12
9 - Soilent Green - Confrontation
10 - Melechesh - Sphynx