Top Ten Metal Disapointments (albums)

Metalmilitia2000

UM's Resident Asshole
Apr 22, 2003
Maplewood, Minnesota
www.facebook.com
What Are Your Top Ten Metal Diaspointments (albums)?

Mine Are, (in no particular order)

1. Metallica - St. Anger (This album sucks, and plus, no solos)
2. Judas Priest - Turbo (This album made me cry... haha)
3. Manowar - Warriors of the World (Their worst effort yet, but saved by 2 songs)
4. Metallica - Reload (An album comprised entirely of tracks that weren't good enough to go on Load)
5. Metallica - Load (Come on, the black album was pushing it...)
6. Annihilator - Remains (I love this band, but this doesn't fit what jeff usually writes...)
7. Two - Yoyeurs (Rob Halford is my hero, but working with Trent Reznor on a Halford-style American Industrial album? come on, where are the halford-esque screams?)
8. Ronnie James Dio - Strange Highways (The only thing that saved this album was "Jesus, Mary, and the Holy Ghost".)
9. Helloween - Chameleon (Didn't know helloween was a swing band, daddy-o)
10. Megadeth - Risk (I didn't like it, it was indeed a "Risk")

Too many albums in my collection to make a definite list, but among biggest disappointments I can remember on top of my head:

(I won't list Metallica since I have not given a fuck about them for a long time)
Helloween - CHameleon & Pink Bubbles
Iron Maiden - Virtual XI
Falconer - Sceptre of Deception
Megadeth - Risk
Secret Sphere - Scent of Human Desire
Labyrinth - Sons of Thunder
HammerFall - Everything after Legacy of Kings
Dream Theater - Falling Into Infinity
Iced Earth - Barlow left and what I have heard from new album so far blows
Paradise Lost - Everything after Draconian Times
Heavens Gate - Planet E & Menergy
Testament - Demonic
In Flames - Reroute to Remain
Soilwork - Figure Number Five
Stratovarius - Everything after Visions
Rhapsody - Loved first two albums, but got bored as hell after that
Virgin Steele - House of Atreus Part II
Nevermore - Enemies of Reality (the production just killed it for me)
Amorphis - Tuonela
Metalium - Chapter 3
and many more..............

i definitely agree with the metallica and megadeth titles, and let's see:

Slayer - Diabolus in Musica
Amorphis - Elegy (that's right, I said it)
Judas Priest - Jugulator
Blind Guardian - A Night at the Opera
Nevermore - Enemies of Reality (all because of Kelly Gray; the songs are fine live)
Type O Negative - World Coming Down
Danzig - 5: blackacidevil
My Dying Bride - 34.788%...complete
Kreator - Renewal
Anthrax - Stomp 442

there, that's 10.

and the award for most disappointing live performance goes to: Spiral Architect at PP2, with a close runner up by Fates Warning on the Savatage "Poets & Madmen" tour.

Ryan

Oh, and i really fail to see what was disappointing about House of Atreus, Act II. It seems to me to be another quality release from Virgin Steele, continuing the style of Atreus I quite nicely. unless you thought it was too long or something...

Ryan

The only major disappointment that I can think of is Blind Guardian's A Night at the Opera. I like pretty much every song on every one of their previous albums but I don't like any of the songs on this one except for Harvest of Sorrow. Also, Dark Tranquillity's Damage Done is a disappointment too - not because it's bad but because it is the first album they did where they didn't try to push the envelope at all (it's basically a watered-down version of The Gallery).

Also, I consider Helloween's Pink Bubbles... to be a great album. As far as I'm concerned, it's better than any Andy Deris era Helloween album (not that they're bad, though). As for Chameleon, the first half is good in my opinion but after Windmill, it gets very boring. Revolution Now and In the Night are easily two of the worst songs ever written by a power metal band.

I don't have any of the aformentioned Metallica albums, thankfully, so I can't rightfully list them. And I don't really have 10 bad metal albums, either. However, I don't know if this counts as metal anymore - he used to! - but my biggest disappointment was (hands down!) George Lynch/Lynch Mob - Revolution. That was criminal what he did to those GREAT old Dokken tunes!!!!! And the rest of the disc sounds like nasty nu-metal. Two (three, four?) thumbs down!

And I have to agree with Se7en Churches on one of his live gigs -- I saw Savatage six times on the P & M tour, and four of them with Fates Warning. YAWN! The only interesting thing they did on any of those nights was when they imitated Spinal Tap/Stonehenge in Florida at the ill-fated Boynton Beach gig on May 19, 2001. Sorry, guys!

Cheers!

Pellaz said:
What was so bad about Spiral Architect at ProgPower?

I dunno, it has been a while, so i may be remembering them as worse than they actually were, but i recall their mix and/or tone just being atrocious and they weren't playing anywhere near as tightly as they needed to be to pull off that material... and yes, i am a huge fan of the CD.

Ryan

I'll probably be flamed...but...whatever......

POS....Remedy Lane......after....Concrete and Element....RL was a real stinker...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:zzz:zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:zzz:zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:zzz:zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Se7enChurches said:
i definitely agree with the metallica and megadeth titles, and let's see:

Amorphis - Elegy (that's right, I said it)
Judas Priest - Jugulator
Nevermore - Enemies of Reality (all because of Kelly Gray; the songs are fine live)
Type O Negative - World Coming Down
Danzig - 5: blackacidevil
Kreator - Renewal
Anthrax - Stomp 442

there, that's 10.

and the award for most disappointing live performance goes to: Spiral Architect at PP2, with a close runner up by Fates Warning on the Savatage "Poets & Madmen" tour.

Ryan

I have to agree with the Fates Warning show....that was really pathetic....and I'd been waiting to see them live for like 8 years at that point....

Edu_Falaschi said:
the only for one to consider a night at the opera by blind guardian a dissapointment is if you are not a Blind Guardian fan otherwise you wouldn't say that
I just think it was a much weaker release than anything else they've ever done. It pales considerably in comparison to an album like, say, Imaginations From the Other Side. I am a Blind Guardian fan, and on repeated listens to A Night at the Opera, sorry, it's not very good. The overall sound of the album is WAAAAAY too busy, the multiple vocal lines and everything just make it sound messy instead of complex, and the songwriting is nowhere near as strong as the high standard that BG had set for themselves with their previous releases would lead one to expect.

so NYAH!

Ryan

The first ones that came to my mind were:

Arch Enemy's newest one
Dimmu Borgir's newest one

And some of the ones listed already such as:
Testament - Demonic
Judas Priest - Jugulator
Kreator - Renewal
Anthrax - Stomp 442
In Flames - Reroute to Remain

Those last 4 were HUGE disappointments.
I didn't like Figure Number Five when I first heard it, but I like it a lot now. And what I've heard of the new The Crown CD so far, I'm not very impressed.

ratanda said:
And some of the ones listed already such as:
Judas Priest - Jugulator
Kreator - Renewal
Anthrax - Stomp 442

hey, Dan, make your OWN list... :loco:

but no, it's cool to see that I'm agreed with.

Ryan

Se7enChurches said:
hey, Dan, make your OWN list... :loco:

but no, it's cool to see that I'm agreed with.

Ryan
Oh yeah, left out World Coming Down. That sucked! October Rust was ok but not great, so I was disappointed in that one too I guess.
And Carcass - Swansong. That sucked too.
And Strapping Young Lad's newest one. Eh. It doesn't really suck, but after City I guess I expected so much more.
Oh and Mercyless - Cold. Abject Offerings was awesome, and Coloured Funeral was quite good, then they put out Cold, and it SUCKED.
I guess you can count Neurotica as a dissappointment after Atheist.
And Aeon Spoke after Cynic. But now I think I'm treading different territory.