Tordah...

Revenant

Suodeth
Apr 18, 2002
Wooster, Ohio
I was wondering if anyone knew what the word "Tordah" means in English..I've been stumped for quite awhile. All I can think of is that it's some kind of chant that drunken finns shout...other than that I have no idea...

I don't think it's a Finnish word. Finnish words don't end with an h-letter. At least I haven't heard of any Tordahs except on that Kalmah song.

It's not a finnish word. There have been alot of discustion about it. Tordah is probably a Karelian (Karelian is an old language somewhat mix of finnish and russian) word, same as Kalmah(To The Grave in english), i do not know what it means, but i can try to find a Karelian dictionary. Antti and Pekka live at the Karelian area and they want to respect that old almoust forgotten language by using it in their music. For exemple the first Kalmah release Sveri Obraza means "a Vision of a Beast" or something like that if i remember correctly?

If you are intrested about Karelia here's some info http://www.karelia.ru/start_e.html

After reading over the interview with Antti and his post on the board, I am leaning towards it having something to do with alcohol. My guess would be it being another word for "Being drunk". Maybe not neccesarilly a Finnish word, it could be some type of slang word over there or something. Antti said he likes to follow these kinds of discussions so hopefully he informs us soon so we don't look like idiots trying to guess this stuff.

Why would they put a Karelian word for being drunk as the title of a track and shout "we are drunk!!1" in the chorus...? Sounds too much like teenish... But so what, the intro riff rocks :kickass:

If memory serves:
Tordah = Drunk/Drunkeness
Roija = Fire/Flame
Burbot = A kind of fish (as in burbot's revenge),
but also a kind of bird (as in under the burbot's nest).

There are always threads like these^^