Whats do these words mean?

Koztonic

New Metal Member
Mar 1, 2004
Just wondering but i was looking through all the kalmah lyrics and i dunno if someone has asked what these words mean already but im gonna repeat em, sorry. Does anyone know what "Black Roija" means? or how about what a burbot is? or "Tordah" means. once again, sorry if anyones asked this before, but yeah its been buggin me

Well if you look at context clues, Tordah is probably something involving beer. Maybe it's a brand (i'm not old enough to drink nor do I live in Finland so I have no idea) or maybe it's an adjective that means drunk.

I'm thinking Todah is just something along the lines of "Hurrah!" or something. It establishes a self-induced superiority reletive only to certain points of view, as does the song Tordah. Kind of a war cry for those on the lower level of the social scale, at least in the song, although in this case its uses would be more versitile as well.

Since that only makes partial sense, I'm gonna rephrase it a little. I take it to mean "Fuck you, I'm a drunk guy, and I don't care because I'm drunk. Egotistical bastard. Whoo!"

Burbot is not a catfish. Roija is not rude face or girlfriend. Guesses of Tordah are close to the real meaning of the word. Please, continue. I like to follow this kind of conversation.

Just out of pure speculation i am going to guess that roija is rose. Because black rose sounds good and in the credits of either swamplord or they will return antti thanks some chick and says that she is his roija. His face, haha, that is my guess. and damn it, a metal song about catfishing would have rocked. Tordah, dont know but sounds like some jewish word or something, and im drunk so who cares, happy st patricks day mother fuckers.

burbot.gif

Burbot
Lota lota or Ling, Eelpout, Loche, Freshwater Cod, Maria, Methy, Lush, Lawyer

DESCRIPTION - With an elongate body, this species averages a length of 15 inches. The colouring ranges from a yellow, light brown or tan with a lacelike pattern of dark brown or black. At times adults may be dark brown or black.

DISTRIBUTION - This species is distributed throughout the freshwaters of North America and continental Eurasia. It is absent from Nova Scotia and the Atlantic islands in Canada.

BIOLOGY - The burbot spawns in mid winter under the ice. The actual spawning activity is said to take place in a writhing ball about 2 feet in diameter made up of 10-12 individuals. Maximum age is between 10-15 years. They feed almost exclusively on other fish.

RELATION TO MAN - Although the flesh of this fish is delicious and nutritious it is regarded as a coarse fish and not widely sought after by sport fishermen.

[Source: http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure/angling/game_fish/burbot.phtml]

I couldn't find anything on the word "Tordah" on Google that wasn't either Kalmah-related, in another language, or just not useful. And I did find a definition for "rioja" (a Spanish red wine) but not "roija." Only one letter off...

[Edit] No, wait, I think "Roija" might be wine.

I like your idea about the word as like...an expletive or a version of the Army "HOOAH" or however you spell it. I'm not sure I can say much more without any more context clues in the song.

Interesting how the burbot spawns in a nice big clump of disgusting wriggly fishies. Why would they be fishing in the winter for them if they're just being born then, though? Eh, maybe they have a long developmental cycle or something.

I'm not so sure about the wine thing though. To have someone claim you are his wine isn't exactly too romantic. But perhaps he is saying he can get drunk on her...

Plus, "Demons hunger - your black roija." Actually, the wine makes more sense in that way, but it might've been said as thirst if it was wine, but then again English isn't their first language.

As I look, I see more evidence for wine. Good thinking Froosch. "Reach out for your minds obsession / With shaking hands hopeless distance / Blessed emotion your only devotion" and "Once with glory you know the story / Liquid years no more tears" definitely sound like the speaker or the subject of the song is an alcoholic.

Are we on the money Antti?

Hmm... burbot is not a catfish? Well it´s quite oblivious that it´s about some fish getting stuck in a net becouse "fisherman" and "net under the ice" appear at the text for few times.

Black Roija, it think it´s some kind of a dark side in your mind or an animal instinct or something like that. "Demons hunger your Black Roija" it must be somekind of a beast inside a man. Actually i have no idea on this one just guessing.

Tordah. This is the hardest one. I dont belive the "hooah" thing, no offence but it sounds kinda stupid if you put "hooah" in the place of "tordah" in the song. It´s not a finnish beer or any beer i belive. Tordah must be some kind of a place where the guy in the song can go by drinking all that moonshine away from social pressures. "To be acceptable, to be respectable, to be normal, To be a decent man. But I'm neurotic, I am vehement, I am withdrawn, A psychotic man. Unsuccesful, hesitant" Yet again no idea really. I hope the band will tell us if we dont find out.

...Tordah. This is the hardest one. I dont belive the "hooah" thing, no offence but it sounds kinda stupid if you put "hooah" in the place of "tordah" in the song.
I'm not trying to say to replace Tordah with Hooah. I'm just saying they might have a similar nature. Just an energetic shout that has no real meaning, like the rebel yell that the Confederates were famous for in the Civil War.

:Spin: the meaning of Roija can be found among the threads here in this forum :devil:
(c'mon, it's not too many anyway ;) )

and in interviews Antti says that Burbot is a fish

and a hint to what is meant with Tordah is there as well.

Well you dont need a intelligence quotient of 200 to realize that burbot is a fish. I just dont get that Kalmah ment when he said "Burbot is not a catfish" it´s some other fish anyway no big mystery in that. Still no clue what is roija or tordah.