toronto show was kinda dissapointing

thirdeye

Jul 2, 2002
detroit
Visit site
some people might not agree with me here...but i think those who don't are just too big of Opeth fans to be open to it but i gotta be honest, even though im a huge huge opeth fan myself...the Toronto show really wasnt that great....first off, Paradise Lost is maybe the worst band ive ever heard in my life..they played for way too long and all of their songs sounded pretty much the same although i felt bad when people were chanting "you suck!"...how have they sold so many records? the other bands werent great either...ok and then comes Opeth..who i have seen once before...and it was unreal...played perfectly...last night though there were some big probs, first, the sound was terrible at the opera house...the bass was way too loud, peters guitar was silenced and the overall mix was so low volume that i could talk to people next to me quietly and still be heard...this of course isn't opeths fault...whoever mixed the sound fucking blows..very amateur...secondly, opeth played poorly, they skipped certain parts, flat out, and the tempo was off the entire night, i felt like i was listening to them in fast forward..especially on deliverance, on the positive side. mike sang really well, much improved vocals, and his screaming is just dead on. i loved hearing him...but overall this show was really dissapointing to me, especially since i drove from Detroit... but everyone has their off days, i know that personally..hopefully next time itll run smoother!

I saw the Pittsburgh show, and they were in a dump called Club Laga, and I thought they sounded exceptionally well. It was my first Opeth show, although everything was dead on. I even took 2 of my friends, one who listens to metal occasionally and the other who never listened to metal, but likes a lot of jam bands, and he thought that Opeth was hands down one of the most talented bands he has ever seen. That says a lot for a person who only ever heard Deliverance once from me playing it across the hall.

Maybe you just had too high of expectations and zoned yourself out, it happens like that sometimes.

I agree that the bass was too loud in the mix and sometimes Peter's guitar was drowned out, but besides that, most everything was perfect. There seemed to be a little bit of improv in the guitar solos, but it was still enjoyable. Paradise Lost and Tapping The Vein do suck ass though... Praetoria was amazing though, at least in my opinion.

On a different note, I saw Blind Guardian in November at The Opera House and they were perfect! So, I don't know if it's The Opera House technicians' fault or somebody elses that Opeth wasn't as flawless... but oh well!

You seem to kind of contradict yourself there. You said that 'Opeth, who I've seen before, played perfectly' and then you go on about the tempo being off... which is it?

I think they probably just got bad monitors on stage if that was the case, and the sound techs fucked up as always... Opeth really gotta hire some pros to do their sound, I've just seen and heard too many recordings where the sound screws them up - they don't deserve that.

But anyway, sorry to hear about the show being bad.

Originally posted by thirdeye
ok and then comes Opeth..who i have seen once before...and it was unreal...played perfectly...last night though there were some big probs, first, the sound was terrible at the opera house...the bass was way too loud, peters guitar was silenced and the overall mix was so low volume that i could talk to people next to me quietly and still be heard...this of course isn't opeths fault...whoever mixed the sound fucking blows..very amateur...secondly, opeth played poorly, they skipped certain parts, flat out, and the tempo was off the entire night, i felt like i was listening to them in fast forward..especially on deliverance, on the positive side. mike sang really well, much improved vocals, and his screaming is just dead on. i loved hearing him...
My thoughts exactly on the Virginia show.

And I hate how people are like, "I thought it sounded perfect! You don't know what you're talking about!" Uhhh...that's great for you that you can't hear the mistakes, but it's not like the rest of us are making it up to be bitchy. :err:

Same for me, that I've seen them play much better on their last U.S. tour.

no no i meant that they played perfectly at the first show i saw last year in detroit...but the tempo was off last night...and no i was not zoning out at all, i paid attention to everything...and i did have high expectations, obviously since opeth are among the best bands in the world..they did not meet them, but its just one show of many.

Originally posted by AfAiRJudgEmenT
I saw the Pittsburgh show, and they were in a dump called Club Laga, and I thought they sounded exceptionally well.

Yeah, I was really suprised a shithole like Laga had such good sound. Opeth was nearly flawless as well.

I think what you (thirdeye) are saying is bullshit. Name one part of a song that Opeth cut out. If anything, they played the songs so closely to the originals, that some songs seemed like they were dragging on (i.e. the ending of Advent).

Peter's guitar was quiet for the first song or two, but the volume was increased after he signalled to the sound guy, and soon after I could hear the two guitars perfectly.

The sound got better as the night went on. It all depends where you're standing in the venue (esp. at the Opera house). The bass guitar wasn't overpowering at all if you're in the right spot. The mosh-pit area is beneath the speaker line, so if that's were you were, no wonder it sounded bad to you. The balcony was the best spot to be. I saw Opeth in Detroit at the I-Rock and this show sounded WAY better.

F

In my opinion the show sounded pretty damn good, but then again I really am not that picky about things like that so maybe I just didn't notice the problems. It all sounded great except for there was one part in the middle of Demon of the Fall that I thought the main melody was very much drowned out. Everything else sounded pretty clear to me.

Oh and the vocals were fucking killer, sometimes I thought they actually sounded better than they did on the CD. Maybe my position in the club had something to do with how things sounded, but however I look at it I can't see how that would have been a dissapointing show to an Opeth fan.

In my experience, if you don't position yourself near the mixing board, you risk bad sound, especially if there's a high ceiling up towards the stage. The bass get especially muddy on the floor.

At Worcester, I thought they played great. Sometimes the tempo was a little rushed, which made some faster lines a tiny bit awkward (like the single note unison runs in Leper Affinity), but that was compensated by the energy.

Originally posted by thirdeye
no no i meant that they played perfectly at the first show i saw last year in detroit...but the tempo was off last night...and no i was not zoning out at all, i paid attention to everything...and i did have high expectations, obviously since opeth are among the best bands in the world..they did not meet them, but its just one show of many.

Huh, what are you stupid? You must have mental problems. The tempo was perfect!

... which is what I would say if I were a fucking moron, hehehe j/k. :)

I wasn't going to say anything about this, but since you mentioned it, I agree with you totally man.

For me it's not too much of a major thing though, they were well timed always, just a little fast at times. Doing the proper tempos is harder than it looks however, and it's hard to judge tempos when you are playing, especially during lots of time changes like Opeth does, and touring takes its toll on the body and brain, it's hard work. So I don't feel the tempo thing reflects poorly at all, they are only human (which I realize is exactly how you feel too).

Satori