tough mix (modern, 5150+krank)

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
hey...
just working on this mix and really having a tough time (esp vox and bass)...overall some things were not perfect to start with (don't wanna go too much into detail here)....
still the result needs to be good, so I'm fighting hard ;)
been asked to give it an ATR-Overcome kinda feel

metalcore-ish

give me your opinions please

i like the kick!
snare sounds a little thin for me.
guitars are not so bad i really like them.
cymbals - cool
vocal - i would make it a a little bit brighter

overall - 4/5 :p

where's the bass? ;)

welll.....äähem.....I had to keep the overall quality in mind ;)

it is there though, just mainly filling lowend instead of heaving middy notes poking through.

yeah, I'm actually pretty satisfied with the drums myself (it's my Yamaha Snare again).
I'm into cracky snares atm, so the goal wasn't to make it thick and juicy but dry and cracky.

did you sample that snare somewhere and put it on the boards? :D it really is nice! wouldn't call it thin at all!

not with the particular tuning and skins we used on this recording, I uploaded some samples but most of them sound really different I think (it's a Yamaha sd6455...probably the most versatile snare I've recorded so far).

I'll upload a shitload of samples when I get my yamaha Recoding Custom drumkit....
I'm planning on recording samples then with all new skins etc
samples will include:
yamaha Recording Custom kick and toms
Pearl Sensitone Elite custom alloy
Mapex Black Panther Birdseye Maple (Piccolo)
Pear free floating brass
yamaha sd 6455

I think it sounds fine. Some people on this board seems a a little too obsessed with just one type of drum sound if you ask me.
I'd agree it misses something in the bass department tho. Not so much in the low end but in the notes definition. Then again, I have the same feeling when hearing most of Joey Sturgis work, so maybe that's just me.

I'd agree it misses something in the bass department tho. Not so much in the low end but in the notes definition. Then again, I have the same feeling when hearing most of Joey Sturgis work, so maybe that's just me.

nah, you're totally right but sometimes you have to work with less than perfect stuff...and what counts in that case is the overall sound....sometimes that means that you might not wanna hear the single notes the bass is playing too clearly,,,if you get my drift.

mixing is always about finding a compromise....for this particular mix the compromise was that I put the bass in the low-freq range and made the seperate notes less audible instead ;)

I agree about the bass. What annoys me more are the OHs and more specifically the cymbal on the right. Try some narrow cuts to get right of the nasty sound around 14-15khz. The guitars should sound a lot better with a small cut around 2,4khz and even smaller cut at 600hz.

I think it sounds good man. Nice and balanced sounding, and the tone fits in the mix nicely.

I think I know what you are trying to achieve when talking about your bass tone. It's almost like you want the bass to be there, but seem like it isn't and the guitars just have a lot of lows, but if you were to remove the bass from the mix then people would say "oh wow it sounds empty as hell now"...? :lol:

Keep your stuff coming man. I enjoy listening to it. :)

What kind of room do you drums in? The drum sound is very nice, got pictures? The guitars need more presence to my ears. I would hi shelf up a db.

The vocals sit well. Good work.

+1 about the bass, it's really not there enough. Maybe boost the lows a bit and leave the "grind" wherever it is.

Don't worry Lasse, I am with you on the snare, nice and cracky! The kick sounds great, the whole kit sounds good to me except sometimes I feel some of the cymbals gets drowned out by the guitars. The guits are a really nice blend though and sound killer. The bass is fine as is, it's there, nuff said.

What kind of room do you drums in? The drum sound is very nice, got pictures?

I tracked these in my small drumbooth (like most of the metal stuff), here's a pic:

DIN_4739.jpg

everyone else...thanks for commenting, I'll perhaps do some very minor tweaks tomorrow (the band actually likes it as it is) just to fix one or two things I dislike.
I'll post the final version when everything is done...thanks

drums sounds really fucking awesome... although, one thing i noticed in your mixes is how unnaturally 'wide' the OH's sound. kind of cool but it ruins the stereo image of the drums as a whole for me.

the guitar tone is sick. sounds like you did all you could with this band, considering the quality of the songwriting and the players....

bravo.