Tracking drums with compression

Razorjack

Bass Behemoth
Jun 13, 2004
Manchester, UK
www.pythiamusic.com
So, I'm going to be doing some more drum tracking soon (mobile this time) and now have access to a wide (read HUGE) range of gear. I've got the basic recording gear chosen (828mkII + 2xOctoPre's) but I'm toying with the idea of getting a few compressors to use whilst tracking.

I can get hold of almost any compressor on the market (from Behringer to a Manley Slam) and was just wondering if anyone had any personal preferance for compressors whilst tracking.

Right now I'm looking at getting a Cransong STC-8 and a Distressor to try out as I've heard nothing but good things about both of them, but if there are any others that you guys prefer I'll try them out before getting them for the session.

Yeah, I usually do that for most things (and certainly will for overheads, ride and hat). Although I know of lots of engineers who compress the snare on the way in with a Distressor and I thought I might see what the fuss was about.

If you want to use a compressor to add charcter to the sound and you exactly what you are doing it's ok. But compressors are mixing tools in the first place imo. By using it you will increase bleeding (unless your using gates aswell which isn't very safe) and you won't be able to go back.
It's hard to figure how things will turn while mixing.

Razorjack said:
Yeah, I usually do that for most things (and certainly will for overheads, ride and hat). Although I know of lots of engineers who compress the snare on the way in with a Distressor and I thought I might see what the fuss was about.

Ah ok!
so as seizure said, on gearsluts there are a lot of people that could help you.

Maurizio

Seizure. said:
next to a nice neve/SSL/avalon preamp i'm realy of thinking of saving up for one of those baby's!!!

I wouldn't save to buy anything with "avalon" written on it or an SSL pre. SSl's are awesome (4000 series, not 5000 series) but the pre's are far from being nest to something like a Neve 1073 or 1081 a Telefunken V72 etc etc etc.

BTW, the SSL compressor is really nice for drums too. There's also a compressor made by smart research called C2 which is similar to the SSL comp but has few more features.

I often track with a little bit of 1176 compression on the kick, and a subtle amount of Distressor on the snare, but that's usually about it. If you're not going to have these comps around during the mix, I'd also print a slammed stereo mix of the drums to use for parallel compression later on, as well as a squashed copy of the room mic(s), if you're using any.

I *always* compress the kick and snare on the way in. I use the compressors in the Avalon 737 for both. The snare I'll do at 2:1 to 4:1, med attack, qucik release. Setting the threshold to knock a couple (not more than 3 or 4) db off when the drummer slams it. For the kick I'll hit 10:1 or higher, with medium attack and quick release. I'll knock 5-6db off the kick.

I really like the sound of the 737s compressor it works nicely without sounding like it is compressing much.

I don't compress the OH when tracking, and rarely do much when mixing. The toms I'll compress after tracking... I don't have enough compressors to get them on the way in, and they're honestly not important enough to me to worry about a little bit of analog compression vs. digital compression.

I haven't used the distressor, but I've heard nothing but good things.

I've tried the 737 comp sooo many times, and only once ended up liking it, and that was on vox. YMMV, but my experience has shown that it's really slow, and a lot of transients get missed, no matter the settings. I have used it on snare and kick before, but more as an effect than useful compression. Just me though, do whatever sounds good to you.

Compressing any loud transients on the way in allows for higher input signal gain, and the higher the signal level the larger the dynamic range and the less chance of 'quantisation distortion' which James has mentioned a few times.

Mmm... I don't think quantization is the best argument here. The supposed quality increase won't be very significant unless the drummer isn't good at keeping his playing under control. But I may be wrong.

The way I use compression when tracking, is the same way I add SALT to my food when I'm cooking.

Add a little bit when cooking. Once you meal is done, add salt to taste.

If you put too much salt on your meal when cooking it, you might end up having to throw it away... and cooking it again...

And different salts will give you different taste... choose wisely!