Tracking Lead Solos

For my solos I double track usually and just put a delay with 10% mix and 10% feedback on one of them and leave the other one clean. Also maybe eq the high frequencies.

edit: sometimes it's less than 10%, but never never never more.

Do what you want...... don't conform! (please do not rip me a new a**hole) Sometimes you come up with something new? People might :danceboy: others will think it's :Spam: So experiment!
istockphoto_1438132_science_experiment.jpg

Yeah first google image that came up
:Smokin: Dam I'm bored! :ill:

Hey the song sounds really good, so what was not quad tracked?

the first solo at 00:24.
second solo from 03:59 is single tracked. 04:09 another guitars enters. and then it left and its only single-tracked until the end of the solo.

all the other "lead-melodies" during the song are quad-tracked. there are 3 different 4tracked leads actually.
2 guitars for 1 harmony
and 2 other guitars for the other harmony.

http://www.forcedevolution.net/home.html

the first solo at 00:24.
second solo from 03:59 is single tracked. 04:09 another guitars enters. and then it left and its only single-tracked until the end of the solo.

all the other "lead-melodies" during the song are quad-tracked. there are 3 different 4tracked leads actually.
2 guitars for 1 harmony
and 2 other guitars for the other harmony.

http://www.forcedevolution.net/home.html

Bit of an old thread but, I'm doing a bit of quad tracking with lead guitars shortly and I have a question if you're out there...

When you quad track lead parts would you generally use less-gain than single tracked parts i.e. similar to when quadtracking rhythm parts?

Cheers!

Hmm, I've always preferred delay on my solos, but I'd be curious to hear if the general consensus here is delay or verb

BPM-synced delay, usually either an analog emulation or a ducking delay from a TC or Eventide unit. I almost never use artificial reverb on anything, except as an obvious effect, though I've taken to using distant/room mics on guitars recently and blending them in a bit, primarily for clean stuff but occasionally for dirty tones.

Peace Sells is a glam album. If you look at the pictures on the sleeve Mustaine is definitely wearing eye-liner ;)

[quote="Evil" Aidy;7685783]Bit of an old thread but, I'm doing a bit of quad tracking with lead guitars shortly and I have a question if you're out there...

When you quad track lead parts would you generally use less-gain than single tracked parts i.e. similar to when quadtracking rhythm parts?

Cheers![/quote]

Yes I think you should. Set up a nice lead sound. Get a a moderate amount of gain. Record a quadtracked lick. Listen. If it is not enough for you, raise the gain. If its too much, well lower it.

But to be honest, last time we record I did not pay so much attention at lowering the gain when we were doing the multi-guitar lead works. I was kind of noob.

But anyway it can't hurt to lower the gain. What you want is super definition and ultra tightness, so less gain is a good idea as long as you have enough sustain.

Tune a lot!

For solos I pretty much only every do a single track per lead and then have them panned off 20% to whatever side I say is mine. A few songs I've had to play the part of "2 guitarists" so each solo will be off to the side, give it that back and forth guitar dual feel. Regardless of that, a lot of times I like to harmonize bits of my leads so even if I'm making it sound like there is two guitar players going at it, I'll always have the harmony bits sitting right under the main solo instead of spreading it out. Other than that, mostly a bit of delay/echo and maybe also some reverb depending on the atmosphere I'm trying to go for.

I'm not a bad player, not great but not bad, I COULD probably double track my leads if I wanted but as someone said above I agree that the idea of a solo should have that more "individual" player sound to it. Of course that all depends on what type of sound you are trying to achieve.

Cheers!

DO.

I've usually just heard that treating them as vocals is the best way to go - if I can tell that something is multitracked it'll most likely bug me a bit.

Jeff

i get bugged as shit hearing dubbed solos as well

i use 2 different mics on the cabinet for the most part,and that is enuff for me..

I single-track all my solos. I don't think there's any good reason to have more than one track unless you want harmonies. I have no problems making my solo sound big in the mix with one track.

Yes I think you should. Set up a nice lead sound. Get a a moderate amount of gain. Record a quadtracked lick. Listen. If it is not enough for you, raise the gain. If its too much, well lower it.

But to be honest, last time we record I did not pay so much attention at lowering the gain when we were doing the multi-guitar lead works. I was kind of noob.

But anyway it can't hurt to lower the gain. What you want is super definition and ultra tightness, so less gain is a good idea as long as you have enough sustain.

Tune a lot!

Thanks dude for that!