Tracking, Mixing & Mastering rates!

meanmrmustad

Supreme Member
Aug 27, 2009
Oaxaca, Mexico
What do you guys think of my tracking, mixing and mastering rates?
I don't know if I'm any good to be honest but some people around here like my work (I'm in Oaxaca,Mexico)

First some samples:

Trivium-like Band (Veracruz, Mexico)

Christian Brutal Death/Deathcore Band (Oaxaca, Mexico)

Alternative Rock Band (Oaxaca, Mexico)

Melodic Death Metal Band (And my first ever album) (Oaxaca,Mexico)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA3ssd3QQYA&list=UUffsq4jT9akJhRFCxVc_n-g&index=9[/ame]
Remix of devils island done with Reaper & Reaplugs in an internet cafe on headphones for fun using the Guitar hero stems.

Tracking:

1 hour $12 USD
6 hour block $55 USD
10 hour block $80 USD

Mixing:
$28 per song

Mastering:
4-6 songs $40 for the whole project
7-12 songs $80 for the whole project

:devil:

This is my studio(It used to be my bedroom!)
64583177.png

And I've been at this tracking/mixing/mastering thing for a year and a half.

:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I think it depends on the location of the studio. Its similar to rates for mixing in Poland (talking about freelancers) but probably its a lot less than for example in Germany.
Drums are the weakest part of your mixes. But on the other hand you have a good price-quality relation going on.

Well Im not an audio engineer by any means, Im just mixing my own demos. I guess you checked out my songs (thanks for the like by the way ;) ).
Anyways, about the drums. They are too digital for me and they lack dynamics. Toms are too small, they are somewhere around I guess and thats it. The snare is ok in single hits but with those blast beats going the whole drumkit is flat, loses impact instantly. It sounds like you were using a snare with just 1 layer of dynamics and a reverb embedded on the sample or something. The machine gun effect is prominent. The whole drumkit is just small compared to the rest, maybe an effect of too much limiting ? Anyways, what the fuck do I know :) ? For 1,5 years you have nice skills anyway.

Wow, spot on!!!
single shot with reverb!

Good ear man, It was because of a last minute attempt to recreate the original mix i made for the client which they didn't like and then when the final mix came around they prefered the 1st one!

The final mix was mastered by the band using Audacity i think

So for the drums I just sampled it off the stems, since I deleted the mix :loco:

ORIGINAL TEST MIX

By the way I don't like your drum sounds, they sound too real!!! :Smokedev:

Last edited by a moderator:
This one's better definitely. The guitars are pumping nicely. Around the 2:20 mark you have some clipping going on though. Dont know, my advice would be maybe to lower the rest a bit and to find place for drums so it would be balanced better.
I think that your'e aiming at that "modern" sound where drums are very heavily sampled and processed. Im like a fan of something between raw drums and processed if you know what I mean. Im gonna be recording a small demo in a month or two, if your'e looking for bookings maybe I could give you sth to mix and master. You seem like a cool guy :) .