Tracking/setting levels: where do your tracks peak?

J.DavisNJ

\m/
Nov 8, 2005
NJ, U.S.A.
And why?

Until now I usually try to get my guitar tracks to peak as high as possible without clipping, but something tells me this isn't the right way to do things.

Sooo...

Where do you let your tracks peak when setting levels before tracking?

Guits/bass/drums/DIs, how do you do things?

Joe

There are two competing theories. Tracking as hot as possible is mostly a throwback from having a high noise floor with analogue tape, people do spout about making maximum use of the bit depth however. In theory this does make sense.

On the other side people say that most converters are happier working at significantly less than 0db and actually around -12 or even lower is a good trade off

I really don't have a clue and always tend to err on the side of caution and go for around -8

I'll give it to you this way. I attended a lecture given by the Sadie/Prism Sound guys about this subject. For 3 hours they talked about conversion and levels. Basically, don't get near zero but don't go below 12, around 6-8 is great for MOST conversion processes. The higher the volume, the better the sampling, that isn't a theory. Personally, I stick to -6 and then mix quiet.

And yes, with 24-bit recording, you have such a massive dynamic range to work with that it's best to not strain your pres and converters, peaking around -12 for all but the most dynamic of sources (e.g. DI's) is more than adequate for a good SNR and leaves you plenty of headroom

Converters and preamps are designed to run optimally at 0dbVU . That equates to roughly -18 dbFS in the digital realm.

There are two competing theories. Tracking as hot as possible is mostly a throwback from having a high noise floor with analogue tape, people do spout about making maximum use of the bit depth however. In theory this does make sense.

On the other side people say that most converters are happier working at significantly less than 0db and actually around -12 or even lower is a good trade off

I really don't have a clue and always tend to err on the side of caution and go for around -8

Actually, IMO your response is the most accurate so far.

Converters and preamps are designed to run optimally at 0dbVU .
True...

Here's an analog to digital scale that shows how it relates:
http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/xcq6ms

Most low impedance analog gear runs at 0 dB VU, which is +4 dBu, which depending on where your converters are calibrated is anywhere around -14 to -20 dBfs

If you're recording peaks at -1dBfs your preamp in forced to work at +18/+20 so it's getting tweaked pretty hard, so is a compressor if your using one. If you're peaking around -8 to - 12 dBfs your analog gear is working within the range of where it was designed to work.

Most analog gear has a good amount of headroom to work with above 0dBVU. -- 24 bit digital has a lot of head room below digital 0.

Conceivably keeping your individual track and master fader levels peaking between -6 and -16 dB fs is a pretty safe bet. (they can go higher or lower) -- rms is what it is. Bottom line: Try to keep headroom in channels and plugs and don't clip. ymmv

Ok, here's one for the Pro Tools users. I'm running into a 003 rack. When tracking I'm aiming for around -7 to -5, is that too hot? Never really thought about it too much until now.

Ok, here's one for the Pro Tools users. I'm running into a 003 rack. When tracking I'm aiming for around -7 to -5, is that too hot? Never really thought about it too much until now.

24 bit fixed or 32 bit floating point is all the same respectively from daw to daw. There's at least 144 dB of dynamic range, so there's plenty of room to work with.

It's probably fine for distorted guitars to leave plenty headroom, but I believe that tracking lower does lose dynamic range. if your signal never reaches the top of the range, you're not using all your bits! haha.

by the way, I peak at -2 or -3 on most sources.

Nah man, just relax and keep the peaks under 0db. Concentrate on what you're recording instead. Have everything sounding good at the input, make good use of your enhancement skills upon that while mixing ;) It's a no brainer, really. Since you say you haven't thought too much about 'tracking levels' I'd say you're on the right track. There are far more important things to worry about than that. So yeh, keep everything under 0db and have a smile on your face.

To all, I believe this has been discussed several times before :saint:

my 2 cents will say that by going to -6 -8 -12 on high cardioid mics you get less bleed oppossed to going as hot as you can. key for drums...

thats about where i hit it.

Yeah I track at about 0dbVU or at most +3dbVU. The main reason I do this, is almost always I'm tracking in a commercial studio and everything in those rooms is setup or optomized for that level.

True...

Here's an analog to digital scale that shows how it relates:
http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/xcq6ms

Most low impedance analog gear runs at 0 dB VU, which is +4 dBu, which depending on where your converters are calibrated is anywhere around -14 to -20 dBfs

Agree with Tom.
Main problem began when you run midrange converter like RME stuff for exemple. Good luck to proper calibration with this:puke:

Btw some great read here.

Fault666 and Waltz make alot of sense here, the analogue stages in your chain are designed to work best at 0VU, too much above that and you start bringing distortion in, too much below that your signal to noise ratio will begin to suffer.

my 2 cents will say that by going to -6 -8 -12 on high cardioid mics you get less bleed oppossed to going as hot as you can. key for drums...

This on the other hand, is complete and utter tosh! Unless "going as hot as you can" means clipping the shit out of your transients?

My individual drums hit -6 max. I record guitars so they stick at around -10 or so. Anything else to me sounds too hot.

I think ideally setting levels for each instrument with plenty of headroom makes the most sense. Once you start adding up tracks and bussing and all that jazz your going to be turning all your faders down just for headroom to mix. If you track instruments evenly you've already got a decent "mix" before you even start mixing.

It's not my fault. I could see Fart666 or Felch666. :)