Traditional Metal

Cirith Ungol - 4 albums total, all very good, very unique band, below is the order of release, King of the Dead is their best with Frost and Fire being a close 2nd, then One Foot In Hell and finally Paradise Lost, I'm sure Mysticx9 would agree.

Frost and Fire
King of the Dead
One Foot In Hell
Paradise Lost

As far as cirith ungol's vocals go, have you heard the first iced earth album with Gene Adams? In his more "crazy" parts (for example the song iced earth... "what do I SEEEEE on the Icy Plains?" etc.) you can tell that he LOVED Cirith Ungol. That's the closest comparison i can think of.

Jasonic, i think you may have mentioned them here before and this is diverging a bit, but Gates of Slumber? TRUE FUCKING DOOM! Amazing band. Also, I think Sahg should be mentioned as their first album is a great mix of true doom and traditional metal.

Yes. I still pull out FROST AND FIRE periodically although
KING OF THE DEAD is often cited as their best album. Very
hard to compare them to anyone else, they had a doom
flavor with a very unusual vocalist...

Yeah, I could never quite get past the vocals, even though I love their album covers -- Elric of Melnibone FTW....err, actually, FTL since he's an anti-hero :lol: -- and I've got several of them as prints, posters or artists' proofs. (Yeah, shaddup, they DID cost a fortune. I'd like to thank my bankruptcy trustee for not demanding all the artwork back, 14 years ago. :))

Aside from Hawkwind they are probably the best-known band who have ever written songs based on the Elric chronicles...even though their name is from Tolkien. (!)

I once called the phone number printed on one of their record sleeves and 10 seconds later I was talking to their drummer (Robert Garvin, I think, from memory). That was cool, but he never sent me the stickers he promised. :p

Cirith Ungol - 4 albums total, all very good, very unique band, below is the order of release, King of the Dead is their best with Frost and Fire being a close 2nd, then One Foot In Hell and finally Paradise Lost, I'm sure Mysticx9 would agree.

Frost and Fire
King of the Dead
One Foot In Hell
Paradise Lost

I like FROST AND FIRE the best but that is probably because I listened to it
a lot when it first came out so there is a nostalgic atmosphere to it, but KING OF THE DEAD is probably the better album for most. Some clips here:

www.myspace.com/cirithungol

They are all must-owns, and yeah, for the unitiated, you haven't heard vox like this before. They lie in that Pagan Altar, Witchfinder General, Manilla Road category; just completely unique and can take a bit of getting used to!