Transcendental Moments In Metal?

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
I think it would be interesting for everyone to name any transcendental moments In metal they have had. Some moment in a metal song where one feels like sonic bliss has been acheived.

The first time I heard Moonshield by In Flames I was mesmerized. It was the first time i had heard something other than the common mainstream bands like Metallica. Nothing against metallica, I'm just sayin'...

After Ye Entrancempirium , but i wasn't supposed to know there was Thus Spake The Nightspirit :loco:

Cryptopsy's track "Phopophile" and "Cold Hate, Warm Blood", especially the climax towards the end of the song. It still gives me shivers after hundreds of listens.

Det Some En Gang Var is definitly the main one that I think of. I also get the feeling from some of the Summoning's songs, and occasionally from Emperor songs. Quite a few Winds' songs give off the extremely deep feeling, as do The Chasm.

The part right after the extended jazzy portion in "Cold Hate, Warm Blood" by Cryptopsy where the drums just keep getting faster and faster.

The piano, guitar, and orchestral intertwining in the first minute of "Communion and the Oracle" by Symphony X.

Listen to the song "Embodiment" by Carcass as you stare at the cover of the Heartowk album. For some reason, the album's cover/title/and the lead guitar line in that song just come together perfectly.

Ever heard "Self Bias Resistor" by Fear Factory? The chorus is one thing, but the last minute or so of the song there's a grinding riff with this eerie gothic chant underneath it. Amazing.

IMHO, the entire song "Awake" by Godsmack. Perfect chorus, perfect riffs, perfect solo.

The first solo in "Dead Eternity" by In Flames is to die for.

I very much agree with you on Fear Factory's Self Bias Restrictor- you reminded me to listen to that album again- I used to play it over and over again like 5 years ago.

dill_the_devil said:
I agree with Self Bias Resistor too - and I'd have to add Opeth's The Drapery Falls - the part when the acoustic midsection segues perfectly back into the haunting lead guitar line.
oh shit yeah! totally!! The first time I heard The Drapery Falls I was completely enthralled! twas also my first ever Opef song too.

hmmm, Fear Factory's Demanufacture does seem to have a rather spine-tingling epic feel to it.......but it was Descent and Resurrection that made me cream most, nowadays though I maintain that Zero Signal is one of the best, most epic metal songs ever written. Cuz it is y'know. The intro is to die for.

By far though, the most 'transcendental' experience I get from metal is pretty much everything by Mudvayne. I've worked myself into such a subjectively vulnerable worshipping stance towards Mudvayne that I'm literally put into either a katatonic or hyperactive mood whenever I start listening to them. Weird, yes, but definately transcendental.

Er... i was stoned out of my mind and had just started downloading 'Zos Kia Cultus (Here and Beyond)' on Soulseek. I double clicked on '01 - Horns Ov Baphomet' and I nearly broke my jaw it hit the floor so hard.

By far though, the most 'transcendental' experience I get from metal is pretty much everything by Mudvayne. I've worked myself into such a subjectively vulnerable worshipping stance towards Mudvayne that I'm literally put into either a katatonic or hyperactive mood whenever I start listening to them. Weird, yes, but definately transcendental.
Yeah, Mudvayne definitely. Death Blooms, Mercy Severity, and Prod do it for me.

The entire Vehemence - God Was Created album...

Vital Remains - "Dechristianize"

Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane (CD)...emotional overflow!

Tool - "Pushit"

A lot of My Dying Bride, Opeth, and Anathema...

Today is The Day - Sadness Will Prevail ...if you wanna totally freak out.

One part that still sends chills down my spine is Agalloch's "She Painted Fire Across the Skyline (Part III). The part in particular is when the tub bell chimes and Haughm begins the chant "To bathe in the blood of man, bathe in the blood of man." Together with the timpani it is just this culmination of declarative hatred for the homo sapien species.

I can’t recollect any others right now.