TRANSCENDING return to the stage!!

Hit the nail on the head with that post mate.

As far as Norwegian Black Metal goes, well if you told me a few years ago that we'd be writing doom style material i would have laughed at you so you never know :)

P.S I can guarantee we will never play anything resembling Norwegian Black Metal. :lol:

Dude i'm sure if you slowed down "The loss and curse of revenance" by EMPEROR to say 10% of it's normal pace and have your bald assed frontman contort his face in all kinds of Isahn ways you could pull it off.:headbang:

only having one guitarist makes playing pretty much anything off The Last Horizon impossible.

It wont sound the same that's for sure but you could make arrangements of the songs for one guitar - you could even doom them down, the fans of the old stuff still like to hear familiar songs even if they are different versions and you have a better chance of them transcending their musical tastes with you.

As for the change in style I can give you one example:

I was a big fan of Bon-Jovi, the second time they played Sydney they didn't play anything from their first 2 albums - it felt like a slap in the face and I never saw them again or bought any more of their albums - more people did the opposite and it worked out better financially for them.

You will lose fans and gain some, that's how it is.

s

Originally Posted by The Apparition
only having one guitarist makes playing pretty much anything off The Last Horizon impossible.

When Taliesin lost our 2nd guitar/keyboard player we had to ditch 50% of our songs and drastically rewrite the other half...big hassle and its easier (and more rewarding) just to write new stuff anyway.
+ Only having one guitar is better/easier for mixing at gigs and less volume wars at jams.

maybe a certain bass player could look at Bi Amping his rig. At least that would give you a 2nd guitar like prescence.
I don't like the term "bi amping". It sounds dirty and unworthy. I like where you're heading in general though. Maybe Nat could get a double-neck bass/guitar and play both of them at once Chapman stick style. Dual-amp both outputs for massive QUAD PRESENCE :kickass: Some tambourines on everyone's feet to help fatten up the percussion section wouldn't hurt either. I also think Mike should incorporate a ventriloquist doll into his set and use a dual-mic setup to create a dual-Mike presence. Transcending Mortality would have the fattest sound EVER :headbang:

It wont sound the same that's for sure but you could make arrangements of the songs for one guitar - you could even doom them down, the fans of the old stuff still like to hear familiar songs even if they are different versions and you have a better chance of them transcending their musical tastes with you.

As for the change in style I can give you one example:

I was a big fan of Bon-Jovi, the second time they played Sydney they didn't play anything from their first 2 albums - it felt like a slap in the face and I never saw them again or bought any more of their albums - more people did the opposite and it worked out better financially for them.

You will lose fans and gain some, that's how it is.

s
Honestly i think if we hadn't said anything about the new material being "doom influenced" no one would be making a big deal about it. Even when Nat joined the band and we showed him the new material he never said "oh you guys are playing doom now". He just thought it sounded slower and darker.

We had planned to play a song of The Last Horizon but there was barely anybody there for us by the looks of it so we thought we'd play a more "doom" orientated set.

I do see what you are saying though and we'll probably be playing a couple of songs off the album for the Lord/Eternal gig. Funny you should mentioned dooming down our older songs as we have created a doomy version of the least likely song to sound good that way from the album and we think it sounds brilliant!

Things should be a bit different once we get the new EP out which will still be a Prog Metal style release and we can concentrate on playing the songs from that.

Honestly i think if we hadn't said anything about the new material being "doom influenced" no one would be making a big deal about it.

Actually nobody so far has said a bad word about the new stuff even though it may not be to their liking, the main gripe seems to be how the change was so abrupt and that the old stuff is neglected.

When playing live fans need familiarity, I remember hearing of a Frank Sinatra gig where he didn't play any old songs at all - it didn't go down too well so it shows even with a stable fan base you will disappoint when you alienate an audience.

Yes a good idea to get the recording out there prior to give the audience something to relate to.

s

I really like the new stuff. Same great band, great muso's, great material.

Bi Amping would be awesome. Nat already plays a Hamer, grab one of their 8 or 12 strings and a nice guitar rig (insert your peavey/Genz Benz/Mesa rig here) add a simple crossover (preferably footswitchable) and it will sound fat as.:headbang:

Yes Ferret you did meet me, i was the one with the shoes