circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Transient – Demo 2004
Self-released – 2004
By Jason Jordan

um.gif

As with all demo releases, a problematic production is the first thing to be recognized and subsequently criticized. More often than not, the latter is a result of lack of funding, or – in special cases – a result of a quibble between a record label and band. Example? Nevermore’s budget was cut in half prior to the recording of Enemies of Reality, because they chose to remain ambiguous about the renewal of their contract. Still, the point of the preceding paragraph is that Transient’s production is far above average. The material, on a lesser note, isn’t going to turn many heads at this juncture.

“The Circle” likes utilizing organic-sounding guitars, and the vocals are seemingly clean and unprocessed. Transient cites Evergrey, Pain of Salvation, and such as inspiration, so I guess they sound vaguely alike (I don’t have extensive experience with either). The use of vibrato is impressive, but the wailer falters into the off-key range in scant instances. “Enter the Grey” (coincidence?) is a spunkier tune; there’s more crunch to be felt and vestiges of the polar opposite are present too. “What Lies Within” is best of the lot as it commences with a doom vibe that seamlessly segues in to the prog rock/metal paradigm. About the 2:55 minute mark, you’ll swear you’re listening to James LaBrie of Dream Theater fame. Sadly, the opus doesn’t return to its melancholic inception. Three tracks form the entirety of Demo 2004, and they’re all of considerable length. In other words, you won’t get short-changed here.

To finish, Transient have qualities working in their favor – such as great production, confident vox, and a mature sound – but I wouldn’t pick this up just yet. I’d wait to see what the group unveils in the future. “A” for effort, though.

5.5/10

Official Transient website