Trigger then track or vice versa

Dec 28, 2009
How many of you beat detect AND trigger drums before moving onto bass, guitars, vox, etc.

Or do you track everything else and then select your samples for drums so you can hear them in the context?

Just curious what others are doing.

genereally speaking, editing before tracking everything else. makes sense, since you want everything else to be tight not only to the click but also to the drums, hence the drums have to be tight to the click first.

sample replacing, well, i tend to sample all the trigger only tracks (obviously) with a sample that is at least close to what i'm envisioning for the final product. support triggering however i'll wait until the mixing stage, at least if the raw tracks are decent (they better be, after all you just finished tracking them). the reasoning is that it's easier to get properly fitting guitar/bass tones if your drums are already in the ballpark of the final product. it doesn't make a lot of sense to track guitars to a totally raw drumsound, get the gtrs to slot in properly with those, just to change the drums later on. get it close in all stages of tracking and mixing life will be much easier.

I would edit all of my drums tracks, and sample replace my triggered drums (mainly kick) so it actually in the mix. Then as for sample replacing and reinforcing the rest of the kit i would this after everything is tracked so that i know how the sample help my mixes and what is missing in context.

Same with bass i would edit this before tracking guitars and for guitars i would edit these before tracking vocals.

It would be actually completely retarded to not edit your drums before you track the other instruments!!!!! Because like the dude said up there you got make sure the other guys will be playing to a tight drum performance OTHERWISE if you have them play to those fucked up drums.....when you edit your drums, their shit will sound fucked up. And if for some reason you said well ill just have the gtrs play to the click and then edit the drums after......What if that drummer fucked up so bad on some parts that you couldnt edit it?!!! LoL it happens! So always edit first.

As far as triggering goes, I usually try to trigger the drums before I track the others because it makes it easier to hear everything the drummer is doing. ALSO do not take down their drum set untill your done editing drums.....sometimes you may find that they need to retrack some stuff because most drummers fuckin SUCK!