Triggering Sound Samples During Performance (MIDI Footswitches...)

schismatic

Kintsugi is coming
Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, UK
As part of my band's live setup, I as guitarist want to be able to trigger some sound samples (will just be .wav or .mp3 files) to play at certain points in the song over the PA as part of the overall mix.

Ideally I need to be able to do this with my feet. I was hoping for a simple solution where I could start and stop the sample with the same button.

What are my (cheapest) options?

I should add that I've looked a bit already and I could have some sort of setup involving my iPhone and the midi interface that is available for it (iRig MIDI), but I'm not sure what simple cheap MIDI footswitches are out there to send the MIDI data into the phone.

Cheers in advance!

Most bands have their samples triggered by the drummer, using pads like the Roland SPDS or similar products

Agreed on letting the drummer handle this with a DrumKat or an e-Kit weaved into his main kit.

To address your question on a MIDI foot controller specifically, you can occasionally find a used Roland PK-5 or Studiologic MP-113 for a few hundred on Craigslist etc. If you don't want to deal with trying to integrate with your phone or a laptop, you can go the hardware sampler route (the new-ish Roland SP line or an old AKAI, EMU etc) fairly cheaply as well on the used markets.

I hope this helps.