triggers in the studio

Fandus

Aug 13, 2009
hey just wondering if anyone has any prefernce on triggers/trigger to midi converters etc.

i'm considering purchasing the set up and was wondering if it has any advantages over slate trigger? i use slate and i get by okay but it usually involves quite a bit of fiddling. do you find the hardware triggers miss triggering as often as slate without having to change the settings?

basically any advice you have on the subject throw my way, i'm new to the physical triggers. :)

I was thinking about buying Steven Slate Trigger! I just don't know what samples come with it.

Honestly... Does Trigger miss SO much hits? I only use Drumagog, but if I tweak it okay, it misses like, only a couple of hits per song, and with some editing on the original track, I can correct the problem.

dont get me wrong trigger is great, i just have to fine tune the settings during fills or anywhere where there is alot of close hits at varying velocities. was just wondering if the hardware versions are any better, to be able to have the midi sent into my daw ready to go would be the best option for me time wise.

To be honest dude if you're having that many problems with trigger you might be doing something wrong. Have you tried playing with the high pass filter and turning up the input gain? Hardware triggers do a better job of getting triggered considering they're just blips, but tbh ever since I bought trigger I've stopped using my D-Drum pro's. Just haven't needed it I haven't had any problems!

Also when's Hallower going to come play a few more shows over in Perth? Played with you guys last time at the Civic I think, really liked your stuff! You guys made the best impression over here SO MANY Hallower shirts haha.

the only problem i have with trigger is i can never get that sweet spot, its either a tad too sensitive and it will make a 4 snare hit roll into 3 hits then a flam OR it misses one of the other hits. i can work my way around it but i was just trying to see if hardware midi triggers have a higher accuracy that results in a cut down time in playing with it later. i've spent hours playing with trigger and i can get 95 % of a song perfect with it but there are always those problem hits that i end up automating the parameters in trigger. not a fan of changing the original audio track i like to leave the original and room in there un altered. it's not bleed thats causing these false triggers either its just the way the drummers hit snares and toms, especially on toms if they havent hit them hard even i have a hard time seeing the transients in the waveform.

im sure i'll work it out haha, just wanting people opinions on the plugin vs the real thing.

haha cheers man glad you like it! we all want to go back to perth as soon as we can. george already went back just to hang. best dudes out that way! we will be back by the end of the year for sure!

the only problem i have with trigger is i can never get that sweet spot, its either a tad too sensitive and it will make a 4 snare hit roll into 3 hits then a flam OR it misses one of the other hits. i can work my way around it but i was just trying to see if hardware midi triggers have a higher accuracy that results in a cut down time in playing with it later. i've spent hours playing with trigger and i can get 95 % of a song perfect with it but there are always those problem hits that i end up automating the parameters in trigger. not a fan of changing the original audio track i like to leave the original and room in there un altered. it's not bleed thats causing these false triggers either its just the way the drummers hit snares and toms, especially on toms if they havent hit them hard even i have a hard time seeing the transients in the waveform.

im sure i'll work it out haha, just wanting people opinions on the plugin vs the real thing.

haha cheers man glad you like it! we all want to go back to perth as soon as we can. george already went back just to hang. best dudes out that way! we will be back by the end of the year for sure!

Awesome man! Also have you tried just replacing the hits that are flaming with harder hits, if you're completely replacing that is.

Also, I played with you guys while you were over hear. I'm in a band called Statues if you remember us.

You better come back soon, Northlane seem deadset on drinking the entire states supply of Emu Export and we can't have that now can we.

Haha yep I remember statues Scott drove us to one of the shows, you guys are legit :)

Northlane get get the fuck off my red can boeeeeee

Has anyone tried the red hots dr-1 triggers?
Especially along with slate trigger.
Any word on their reliability & velocity accuracy would be great.