Triggers vs the real deal (mics)

Triggered drums will never get you the "feel" of the drummer and his kit. It's the small imperfections in the playing that make or break a drum sound.

I rarely use triggers anymore. I've found that most of the replacement plugins add some ms of latency which is a bitch. Sometimes I'll layer a kick or some toms when they sound absolutely horrible but never replace 100%

triggered kick/toms will still get you the imperfections, especially with multisamples. but let's face it, when doing metal you very often try to get toms and kick sound punchy and clear, and it's much easier to get to that point with samples. that's why we sample replace in the first place!
besides, you still get different velocities and timing errors, it's not like triggering automatically means everything 100% and in time.

drum replacement latency, try a different plugin!

besides, you can save yourself a lot of pain if you're replacing stuff based on a trigger signal. less bleed, clearer transients. especially tom rolls are often barely more than an undefined flurry if notes, even more so with subpar drummers and micing.

obviously, it depends a lot on the music. some stuff just calls for natural drums, and well played high quality drums miced up well sound badass, no question about that. but how often do we get that kind of luxury?

I have none of the aforementioned issues (latency, non natural feel) with Trigger from Slate Digital. It has really pushed my productions from sounding OK to FUCKING AMAZING. I never realized how much the drums in a mix matter until I started sample replacing.

Fragle as for the snare sound unnatural when replaced, and not having all the little nuances. I say that's a crock, you obviously haven't really dug in on Trigger to get all those little nuances. I can get little flams / rolls and all that stuff by taking my time, gating or editing where needed and taking my time setting the plug-in properly. Sample replacement programs are just the tip of the Iceberg. you still need to properly edit your drum tracks in order to make them work. You don't just record your drums and throw a plug-in on it to go from good to godly!

As for your statement:
"besides, you can save yourself a lot of pain if you're replacing stuff based on a trigger signal. less bleed, clearer transients. especially tom rolls are often barely more than an undefined flurry if notes, even more so with subpar drummers and micing."

Thats all about learning how to properly place your mics on the drums. I don't have any of these issues and I use a very very cheap set of drum mics. Its a $99 set of mics from Digital reference. I still get the hot transients on every roll and Trigger never has an issue with them. If and when it does there are ways around it with drum editing / gating. You also get a less natural drum sound without the bleed from other mics on the kit. Slate is good as making that as real as possible, but its not perfect.

Every set of D-Drum / (insert cool brand here) of triggers I have ever use always mis-trigger during fills / flams / and fast rolls. Sometimes the head of the drum doesn't respond fast enough and you don't get a good transient like you do with a microphone on the drum. In addition to that sometimes its TOOO sensitive, if the drummer drags a stick across the head you will get a mis trigger. If this happens with mics on the drums it is barely noticeable.

For tunes?

www.myspace.com/guitarguru777 the top song "Hit Somebody"

Digital Reference mics on the drums.
Slate Digitals Trigger using Panty Kit with 100% replacement on ALL of the drums
OH's are Sterling Audio ST-31's ($100 each)
The cashes are lopsided cause he only had a single crash on his kit on the right side.

Oh ... as for the editing on this song, the only thing I did was gate the toms before Trigger, thats it.

Oh be sure to go more then 10 seconds into the song as it has a lo-fi intro type thing.

For tunes?

www.myspace.com/guitarguru777 the top song "Hit Somebody"

Digital Reference mics on the drums.
Slate Digitals Trigger using Panty Kit with 100% replacement on ALL of the drums
OH's are Sterling Audio ST-31's ($100 each)
The cashes are lopsided cause he only had a single crash on his kit on the right side.

Oh ... as for the editing on this song, the only thing I did was gate the toms before Trigger, thats it.

Oh be sure to go more then 10 seconds into the song as it has a lo-fi intro type thing.

cool but actually I meant a link to the drum mics, because I'm kinda curious hah. Sorry if you misunderstood that!

Btw the tunes are nice, not my favorite type of music (I'm more into Thrice myself) but they sound nice!