Trip Hop / Electronic...something like that Thread

Krilons Resa

Jerry's married?!
Nov 7, 2002
Inside dorian's gym bag.
Im looking for music in the vein of the better Bjork/Portishead/Ulver stuff.

Oh, and another example would be the middle section of "Nightmare Heaven" by Arcturus on The Sham Mirrors. That shit rules. Kind of reminds me of "Army of Me" by Bjork.

Boards of Canada, of course. First two albums, anyway. Not trip hop, just great electronic music.

Soma FM has a lot of online radio stations that can be really good resources for discovering electronic shit. Try Groove Salad, Drone Zone, Space Station Soma, and Cliqhop. This stuff is the best internet radio I've ever come across.

Boards of Canada... start with "The Campfire Headphase", and that will keep you content for a while. Move backwards in the discography after that.

Boards of Canada... start with "The Campfire Headphase", and that will keep you content for a while. Move backwards in the discography after that.
Personally, I'd recommend focusing on the first two, Music Has The Right... and Geogaddi, and get the third if you want more. I haven't heard a lot of Campfire Headphase, but what I have heard of it just wasn't as good as the first two. And if you only pick one, pick Music Has The Right To Children

...another example would be the middle section of "Nightmare Heaven" by Arcturus on The Sham Mirrors. That shit rules...

Seriously, wtf man. It took a while but The Sham Mirrors is kicking my ass all over the place. Havent much gotten into LMI yet, but that one song "Ad Astra" ...holy fucking shit!!

Oh, and this Massive Attack - Mezzanine album is sweet.

If Katatonia - Unfurl is triphop, then I want more.

Hopefully not from Katatonia! Don't get me wrong as I like Unfurl a lot, yet another must hear non-album track from those guys, but it should remain a one-time departure and a unique song in their catalogue. As for BOC, i second the Music Has The Right... and Campfire (wasn't disappointed like many others, ideal for drifting off) recommendations. And of course, can't end this ramble without stressing how cool the trance section of Nightmare Heaven is...

Jaga Jazzist - A Livingroom Hush & The Stix

One of the links between Jazz and Electronic music.

http://www.jagajazzist.com/v2/mp3.php

Reviews of the split between Jaga Jazzist Horns + Motorpsycho (excellent)

"In the Fishtank is, in theory, a terrible idea. Let’s take two or more low-profile, usually post rock related artists, and put them together in a studio. OK, good enough. But to only give them two days and then put out whatever they record, no matter how much it sucks? That is the tragic flaw of the Fishtank series. Luckily, Konkurrent, the record label that sponsors these recordings, picked the right two groups to come together for their 10th installment. Motorpsycho and Jaga Jazzist are both from Norway and played together various times before the Fishtank sessions. The horn section of Jaga Jazzist provides a great melodic centerpiece for Motorpsycho’s quirky blend of rock, electronica, and ethnic grooves.

Despite their previous experiences and shared nationality, the mix is strange. They hardly ever truly come together on this album; there are the Motorpsycho sections and the Jaga Jazzist sections. The only time that the jazz and the rock truly come together is on Theme de Yoyo, a cover from the Art Ensemble of Chicago. It’s strange, with the Motorpsycho rhythm section throwing down a funky yet very rock styled groove. Lars Horntveth, Jaga’s premiere songwriter and the tenor saxophonist, takes the horn feature in the song and puts out a Coltrane-worthy solo that takes the chord changes and throws them out the window. That makes the middle of the song, but the rest is a strange mix of Motorpsycho’s groove and a few moments of a chaotic mix of horn blasts and cymbal crashes. Including some raspy vocals that get a bit too stylish for their own good, it comes across sloppy and improvised because it probably was improvised; they only had two days to record these 45 minutes of music. Still, it somehow works. Some of the sections, with the strange chaos, anthemic vocal harmonies, and memorable horn melodies resemble The Mars Volta. Theme de Yoyo is what happens when The Mars Volta and John Coltrane in his Love Supreme days have a lovechild.

Conversely, Bombay Brassiere serves as a downtempo and brooding album opener. Light percussion and a slow bass groove lay the background for the song, while Mathias Eick, Jaga’s trumpet player, opens the song with a very Miles Davis styled solo. As the song progresses, more horns add in to aid Eick and the rhythm section lays down a more solidified groove, with rim clicks on beats 2 and 4. Bombay Brassiere could easily pass as an outtake from What We Must, with horn melodies that seem to go on with no real direction, yet they still revolve around the same themes. Eick’s trumpet playing is perfect, just the right tone and detached style. It very well may have been an idea that Horntveth played with while writing What We Must, as he did write the song. However, Motorpsycho’s Hans Magnus Ryan wrote the album’s centerpiece, Tristano. It is over 20 minutes long, and it delves into a strange free jazz area. It grows as more elements that don’t fit together add in, including haunting high piano melodies, harp sweeps, and hard, low piano chords. Some sense comes to the song in an ethnic percussion groove of timbales and congas, but still, the melodies are strange and don’t flow with the rest of the song, obviously intended. Tristano grows for all 20 minutes, before everything capitulates into a harmonically peculiar horn melody with a rapid and spastic groove from Motorpsycho. The final 2 seconds are pure chaos, as Håkon Gebhardt pounds on his drums and the horn section plays as loud, high, and obnoxious as possible.

The tenth installment of In the Fishtank finds both bands involved experimenting in new genres. It draws a lot of influence from the jazz greats, including Coltrane and Miles. Overall, it gives a more jazz fusion style, especially with Motorpsycho’s grooves. Even Pills, Powders, and Passion Plays, a Motorpsycho song that they redid with Jazzist during the recording sessions, gives off a laid back jazz groove that brings Jaga’s horns to prominence for much of the song. The vocals on the track fit perfectly, floating in the milky atmosphere of the groove and instrument melodies. The performance on the album is stellar, as expected from two bands with this much experience and songwriting ability. For the most part, the album is very soothing, but the last two tracks are intense listens, with Horntveth’s incredible soloing and the free jazz progression and style of Tristano. Fans of Jaga Jazzist and Motorpsycho should definitely give this a listen; each track is enjoyable and excellent, albeit a bit unrefined." Sputnik Music.com

"
Jazz-fusion is one of my great musical unknowns. I spent much of my adolescence snickering at every appearance or mention of those two words. It always conjured images of overweight, bearded, balding men in Bill Cosby sweaters wasting my time. It wasn't until recently that I heard them thrown in Jaga Jazzist's direction -- along with words like "brilliant"-- by reputable sources. Doing my best to put a decade long preconception behind me, I asked the kind folks at Ink 19 to send this disc my way. I'm oh so glad they did, because this is some of the most graceful, fluid music I've ever heard.

The Jaga Jazzist horn section channels Coltrane on the wonderful opener "Bombay Brassiere," while "Pills, Powders and Passion Plays" has perhaps thirty seconds of the World's Greatest Guitar Riff courtesy of Motorpsycho. "Theme De Yoyo" is like an explosion of 40-year-old dynamite, all sweat and bellbottoms, leaving a cocaine haze in its wake. The album's monster, though, is the twenty-minute closer, "Tristano." The song builds, folds in on itself and starts anew many times over before reaching a climax that brings twisted, sideways behavior back into jazz. I normally have to listen to an album from Constellation Records for such a satisfying release.

To top it all off, both bands had these tracks well practiced and ready within a couple of days. It took me longer than that to shake the shock from my head to write this review. This album made my Top 5 of 2003 easy. Give it a listen and you'll understand why." Ink 19.com

http://rapidshare.com/files/3966688..._02_-_Pills__Powder_and_Passion_Play.mp3.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/39667506/Motorpsycho___Jaga_Jazzist_Horns_-_03_-__Doffen_Ah_Um.mp3.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/39669031/Motorpsycho___Jaga_Jazzist_Horns_-_04_-_Theme_de_Yoyo.mp3.html

If you like Tortoise and especially Millions Now Living Will Never Die, you'll dig them. 100% verified.