The Recommendation Thread

Antyman

En Ful Jävel
Mar 15, 2009
I couldn't find a thread like this on the entire site! :cry:

here you can recommend music, or ask for bands of a genre or somthing, you get the deal.

I pretty much made this because I've been looking for bands in 2 specific genres I know nothing about.

the first one is band similiar to "empire of the Sun", you know that psycho-echo-pop band with their song playing on MTV day in and day out. It's kind of Bjork-ish. would be great if anyone had some recommendations for me.

the other genre I'm looking for is like dark-sounding sound! many intros and outros to CDs, with like a thin layer of piano or guitar playing over some sound of people talking or something.
example is "your bedtimestory is ending" by In Flames, or the intro to Phobia by Breaking Benjamin.

START THE RECOMMENDING :kickass:

meh didn't pop up when I used the search funtion.. and I never go outside the bands part :p

anyways.. give me my music.

I couldn't find a thread like this on the entire site! :cry:

here you can recommend music, or ask for bands of a genre or somthing, you get the deal.

I pretty much made this because I've been looking for bands in 2 specific genres I know nothing about.

the first one is band similiar to "empire of the Sun", you know that psycho-echo-pop band with their song playing on MTV day in and day out. It's kind of Bjork-ish. would be great if anyone had some recommendations for me.

the other genre I'm looking for is like dark-sounding sound! many intros and outros to CDs, with like a thin layer of piano or guitar playing over some sound of people talking or something.
example is "your bedtimestory is ending" by In Flames, or the intro to Phobia by Breaking Benjamin.

START THE RECOMMENDING :kickass:

Dude you drunk or what?

In Flames doesn't have any such song.

Try Agalloch maybe...

yes, yes I was slightly drunk... ^and yes, I meant that song. probably just guessed as I didn't want to search for it.

Guess I'll make use of this thread. Here's a few artists and what I have from them, and looking for answers to "what to get next"

Mono (have: You Are There, Hymn to the Immortal Wind)
Riverside (have: Rapid Eye Movements)
Candlemass (have: Death Magic Doom)
OLD* Enslaved (have: Frost) *I'm talking about pre-Monumension - I have their most recent 5 albums
Katharsis (have: Fourth Reich)

And that's all I can think of atm regarding discographies in which I feel severely lacking.

Get "You Are There" by Mono and their split with World's End Girlfriend called "Palmless Prayer / Mass Murder Refrain". Also look into Godspeed You! Black Emperor if you haven't already.

Not too big on Riverside, but their latest is pretty good,"Anno Domini High Definition" as well as "Second Life Syndrome".

Don't know much about the others.

Said I had You Are There :) - will check out the rest though. I have been wanting to check out that other band.

Oops sorry. Hymn and You Are There are really the only ones you need. The other ones are kind of boring. I would try Under The Pipal tree if you're really wanting to get more Mono.

Oh yea, and how about maudlin of the Well, what's their best (if any) besides Bath and Part the Second, both of which I have.

Oops sorry. Hymn and You Are There are really the only ones you need. The other ones are kind of boring. I would try Under The Pipal tree if you're really wanting to get more Mono.

Wow - there are so many ways in which I disagree with this. "Walking cloud..." is just as beautiful, and "One step more and you die" is great too, with probably their heaviest song.
I'd recommend try Yndi Halda, Red Sparrows, Explosions In The Sky or This Will Destroy You - all of which have amazing albums and IMO represent a good deal of the Post Rock genre.

As for Riverside, I actually recommend their first album Out Of Myself, which is less heavy than their other material, but has more emotion.

Oh yea, and how about maudlin of the Well, what's their best (if any) besides Bath and Part the Second, both of which I have.

They only have 3 LP's, the last one your missing is called "My Fruit Psychobells... A Seed Combustible" and "Leaving Your Body Map. "Bath" and "Leaving Your Body Map" were meant to be a double album.

Wow - there are so many ways in which I disagree with this. "Walking cloud..." is just as beautiful, and "One step more and you die" is great too, with probably their heaviest song.
I'd recommend try Yndi Halda, Red Sparrows, Explosions In The Sky or This Will Destroy You - all of which have amazing albums and IMO represent a good deal of the Post Rock genre.

Yeah I guess. To me "Hymn To The Immortal Wind" is their best work. They keep it interesting the whole way through, and it is really worth listening to completely. The other records have a lot of repetition (Like when Taka does that really fast strumming over and over and over again until the end of the crescendo) and don't really do post-rock as well as "Hymn" did.

I would rank GY!BE and Mono as my favorite post rock acts, it seems like other bands are just doing the same thing over and over again and it gets stale, especially with a genre like post-rock where you can have a 12 minute song which 8 minutes of it being slow orchestration. I like going for sub-genres of post-rock more often than straight post-rock like Do Make Say Think, Maybeshewill, And So I Watch You From Afar, Pelican, etc.

Oh an another classic to check out, Talk Talk - Laughing Stock.

T

it gets stale, especially with a genre like post-rock where you can have a 12 minute song which 8 minutes of it being slow orchestration.

Actually, I think that Mono and Godspeed actually do that more than any other bands (though they definately do it great - at least Mono, I'm not a fan of Godspeed), but the other bands I mentioned don't do it that much. Maybe Yndi Halda do, but they're actually my favorite of the bunch.