The recommendation thread.

I was in Utrecht Saturday and before going home I walked into a recordstore and I heard a really cool song playing, the mood reminded me of Depeche Mode somehow. I asked the employee what it was and she said "Gotye". ?? OK... At home I started looking for some albums and some more info and I found out that Gotye is a Belgian-born guy who grew up and lives in Australia. The music has amazing atmosphere, very diverse. He uses a lot of cool sounds to colour the music, which works amazing. He's also an excellent vocalist, but he uses other vocalists as well. He has released 2 studio albums "Boardface" (2004) and "Like Drawing Blood" (2006), both are absolutely excellent. The song I heard in the recordstore appeared to be "The Only Thing I Know" from the first album, amazing song.

Check out this video for the song "Hearts a Mess" (from "Like Drawing Blood"):

More: www.myspace.com/gotye

There are also some live versions of "The Only Thing I Know" available on YouTube, but I haven't heard them, so I don't know how close they are to the original album version.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you like atmospheric rock you should check out this two bands
Klimt1918(from Rome)
Airbag(i think they came from norway)

for the guy that love Neurosis i can only give you as musical advice
Isis
Cult Of Luna (but both are quite famous)
Jesu
The Ocean (that will be in tour with opeth and cynic this autumn/winter)

i really love esoteric(i've seen that not so many people know their music) too but they don't have anything to share with those kind of music...maybe i'm giving obvious advice..let me know

if you like atmospheric rock you should check out this two bands
Klimt1918(from Rome)
Airbag(i think they came from norway)

for the guy that love Neurosis i can only give you as musical advice
Isis
Cult Of Luna (but both are quite famous)
Jesu
The Ocean (that will be in tour with opeth and cynic this autumn/winter)

i really love esoteric(i've seen that not so many people know their music) too but they don't have anything to share with those kind of music...maybe i'm giving obvious advice..let me know
Also check out the band Battle of Mice for another good post-rock/metal band.

O.K. I have been infecting people with the following band...

GHOST BRIGADE

...from Finland. It's like Katatonia, Opeth and Neurosis thrown into a blender. Really intense, desolate sounding stuff. It's quite addictive and live they blow the roof off...

cdcover2.jpg

Just got Like Drawing Blood by Gotye. Sounds cool so far!
:) I ordered both his CD's last night, they're sooooo awesome, especially "Like Drawing Blood". The guy even wrote me back personally to thank me for my order etc. :)
Listening to Ghost Brigade, this is pretty nice. Sounds like a more rock-structured version of Cult of Luna. Not bad :)
I'm surprised you hadn't heard (about) them yet :)

For everybody who doesn't know of them yet...

Fields of the Nephilim

Man, this band changed my life back in the early 90s. Their guitar layers changed my own guitar style and my band at the time, Daeonia, was very much influenced by them. They are the masters of dark atmospheric goth rock (and not the kind we get flooded with today). They were a huge influence on many bands, ranging from black metal, to goth metal and even Katatonia.

www.myspace.com/fieldsofthenephilim