The Music Recommendation Thread

Good stuff. Their guitarist, Alessandro Pace (a.k.a Alex Vega) is one of the founder members of The Foreshadowing. If you listen to their Days Of Nothing album, you can definitely hear the similarity.

^ Wow I never knew that and I like The Foreshadowing. couple parts I can really hear his style, that picking riff in Death is Our Freedom reminds me of Klimt. Well, you learn something new everyday I guess lol.

I've been into Klimt1918 for a few years now, really great band, they're finally starting to get some recognition thankfully.

there's some people on the novembre board who are into italian bands, like klimt 1918. I like some songs on Room with a View's first album, First Year Departure. Couldn't find much on youtube except that it's one of 20 songs in this video:

Last edited by a moderator:
There are ton a of great bands coming out of Australia as of late:

My favorite is Ne Obliviscaris, they're an amazing (IMO) Progressive Black Metal band. The fact that this band is not yet signed confirms that their is no fairness in this world... You can download their demo that they recorded in 2006 on the web. It's easy to find. Sadly the best song on their demo, Forget Not, isn't on youtube so I'll post this song which isn't on their demo at all. It's not as good as the ones on the demo IMO though.

Also, a couple of Post-Rock bands from Australia:

sleepmakeswaves
, their guitarist posts on here (or on the Opeth forum at least) a lot by the name of Pethical. They also have a free demo you can download off of their myspace and an ep you can buy. I highly recommend the EP.

Hazards of Swimming Naked
they're supposedly releasing a full length in '09.

Cult Of Luna - Fucking awsome band from the north of Sweden!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TulnmeaObio&feature=related[/ame]

Insomnium
Great band, great song! (In The Groves Of Death, from Above The Weeping World)

Yakuza - another CHICAGO band
a cool band with lots of different influences, from jazz, to world music, to hardcore, to metal

Klabautamann
Progressive black metal, "nature" music - bottom line is they are AMAZING!

Not sure if they have been mentioned yet, but ORPHANED LAND are owning me right now.
They are from Israel.

At first listen, reminds me of Nov Doom, Opeth, and Agalloch all rolled into one.

I'm listening to Orphaned Land's Mabool right now (picked it up yesterday) and it's blowing me away. Fantastic stuff. I'm hearing Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden and maybe some Dream Theater mixed in with all the other stuff you also mentioned too. I love the Eastern music styles and modes they employ. If you like metal, hell if you like music you should give this a listen. You owe it to yourself. :headbang:

maybe i'm out of it, but i'd never heard of them. are their other bands good?

The 11th Hour is a side project from Ed Warby (Drummer for Hail of Bullets and Gorefest) and the vocalist Roger “Rogga” Johansson (Ribspreader, Edge of Sanity - Crimson 2).

Ed Warby is a talented guy. Not only is he a great drummer, but he writes all the music for Hail of Bullets, and 11th Hour.

AND, Ed sent me an original Hail of Bullets demo CD, signed by the entire band, so that makes him one of the nicest guys around as well! :)

Oh wow, that's fantastic, I wasn't aware you were a fan of those guys! Any idea when it'll see release??

Early 2009 I believe.

I can't say I was a "fan" of the band, as I honestly never really gave the music it's proper time. I listened to the first two a couple times before, because we were playing with them in the UK, so I wanted to check them out.

The CD coming out though, I listened to a lot while working on the graphics for it, and I've become more of a fan of the music for sure.

It's just a style of doom, that I sort of moved away from because so many bands sound so alike, I usually won't check out new bands unless someone I know really raves about them, and peeks my interest. For The Prophecy, Andy from MDB convinced me to check them out, and I'm glad he did.

Comus, I hated this band at first but after a few spinns I fell in love with them. Weird 70's lsd folk :headbang:

And then we have King Crimson (Im in a 70's period at the moment). One of the best bands ever. Dark progressive rock.

And I will finish of with a modern band. The Ocean, they play some sort of progressive metal. Great band.