Trip-Hop

old user1

New Metal Member
Nov 30, 2005
Well, I've always tried to keep an open mind with music, and every now and then I find a band that I'm really into that is totally not metal. I recently obtained a copy of Massive Attack's Mazzanine, and I love it.

Sooooo...

Anyone here into trip-hop? Any suggestions for a trip-hop n00b?

And for anyone who hasn't heard Massive, I would totally suggest they check them out. Very good band.

Peace

Rorix

Yeah, I've heard of Portishead. Any album specifically?

Both are good, but if you don't have any yet, start with Dummy.

Trip-hop's a pretty broad genre though. You might need to experiment a bit and see where your tastes lie other than MA, Portishead and Tricky.

Lamb's self titled's pretty good. Has a lot of drum 'n bass in it.

Goldfrapp's album Felt Mountain is fantastic, but the stuff they did after tha album is wildly different. Felt Mountain has a definite Bond quality about it, and it's melancholic as hell!!!

UNKLE's Psyence Fiction is also worth a try, since it's pretty varied in what it's trying to do. It's got a sort of...all star team in James Lavelle, DJ Shadow, Thom Yorke, and more.

Kruder and Dorfmeister. Weed smokers de-luxe. There's a great doubl album called The K & D Sessions I can recommend. Of course, if you say that fast, it sounds like "The Candy Sessions". :loco:

Zero 7 and Air are both really good too. Although not strictly trip hop, they often find themselves lumped in there for good measure. Air has a great deal of breezy, 70's french pop in it as well as influences of pioneering forms of 70 electronica. Nice.

Zero 7 is really nice downtempo stuff with loooovely instrumentation. They always use at least 3 vocalists per album so you do't get tired of any one voice. One of the vocalists has a strange voice though.

Thievery Corporation. Bunch of weed smokers, bless them, mixing dub, aid jazz, indian and brazilian styles in with trip hop.

Morcheeba's Who Can You Trust is also quite ok. Not jaw-droppingly brilliant, but it's nice enough. Standard, pretty trip hop that isn't challenging or particularly dark in any way, but it is chilled out, well done and nice to have on. Can't couch for the other albums as I heard a single of a later one that sucked ass so I didn't follow up on these guys.

Broadcast. Fucking fantastic. Electronica with heavy influences of The United States of America and early Pink Floyd (in oher words, 60's psychedelia), John Barry, Ennio Morricone, 60's acid french pop (if you know what I mean)....I highly recommend The Noise Made By People, Work and Non-Work....hell, it's all very good. But it's not trip hop....just thought I'd throw it in here, since if you're going down this road, you might as well discover this now. hahahaha. And then if you like this, then Pram and Stereolab are definitely for you.

Some also like The Sneaker Pimps and Hooverphonic. Try them out as well, if you're curious. I used to have a Sneaker Pimps record, but sold it as I lost interest pretty quickly. But that's just me. Ditto with Hooverphonic.

I have more up my sleeve. Much, much more, but I think this will do for now, before I get to the lounge and exotica influenced stuff. :)

Morcheeba's Who Can You Trust is also quite ok. Not jaw-droppingly brilliant, but it's nice enough. Standard, pretty trip hop that isn't challenging or particularly dark in any way, but it is chilled out, well done and nice to have on. Can't couch for the other albums as I heard a single of a later one that sucked ass so I didn't follow up on these guys.

Haven't heard that album, but I love Big Calm, and Charango is pretty good too.

Wow, thanks Tash. Very nice list. I think I'll be looking to Portishead as a start, for sure. And UNKLE seems promising as well, with Thom as an added bonus. :p

And yeah, I got Tricky's first album a little while ago. Very very dark album. Anything on that end of the atmo' spectrum sounds like fun.

Also, anyone who likes Deftones should definitely check out Team Sleep. While not entirely trip-hop, their stuff is awesome, and Chino is an amazing vocalist.

Peace

Rorix

trip hop...my favorite electronica subgenre :)

let's see...there are many bands on the ninja tune label, so thats one label definitely worth checking out. bonobo is on there: a trip hop band with no vox but really strong, crystal clear melodies. a bit more on the laid-back side.

sneakper pimps...i only have their "bloodsport" album which is pure genius with very, very, very clever lyrics. the english know how to do this stuff!

dj shadow may have the greatest electronica record in his discography: "endtroducing." all songs composed of samples from...basically, everywhere! from underground hip hop tunes to even glam acts like t rex. more like a musical collage whose pieces fit together so well... an album that goes in my top ten albums ever.

aaaaand last but not least hooverphonic. they never topped their debut "a new stereophonic sound spectacular" but these belgians crafted some really dreamy tunes with excellent vox and atmosphere.

goldfrapp's "felt mountain" is a must!!!

Any time!! ;D

(and by the way, Allison Goldfrapp does vocals on "Pumpkin", off Tricky's Maxinquaye. Don't dally in getting Goldfrapp's Felt Mountain. 2 of us that have posted in the thread so far feel very strongly about it. It's that good!)

Felt Mountain is indeed great. Also be sure to get all other Massive Attack albums, they're all magnificent (especially 100th Window).

I also think Paatos have a certain trip-hop vibe in them, though they don't fit in that genre. Nevertheless a great band which should appeal to most trip-hop fans.

Ulver's Perdition City is also recommended, very trip-hopish at times, and one of my all time favourite albums.

Tash said:
(and by the way, Allison Goldfrapp does vocals on "Pumpkin", off Tricky's Maxinquaye. Don't dally in getting Goldfrapp's Felt Mountain. 2 of us that have posted in the thread so far feel very strongly about it. It's that good!)

Yeah actually, Pumpkin was one of my favorites off of Maxinquaye, for sure. I'll check it out as well (so many albums heh).

Don Corleone said:
dj shadow may have the greatest electronica record in his discography: "endtroducing." all songs composed of samples from...basically, everywhere! from underground hip hop tunes to even glam acts like t rex. more like a musical collage whose pieces fit together so well... an album that goes in my top ten albums ever.

Yeah, I heard he's the guy credited with inventing Trip-Hop... Another album to check out for sure!

Funny now, how I'm beginning to see all these trip-hop influences in music I listen to, and I had never realized... A good example would be Radiohead's OK Computer. "Airbag" is so trip-hop...

Peace

Rorix

Yeah, I'd say Kid A and Amnesiac have quite a lot of trip-hop influence..

Another excellent trip-hop influenced album is Souvenirs by The Gathering.

Yeah, Kid A is one of my all-time favorite albums, for sure. I might look into The Gathering. I've heard a lot about them.

I love Ulver's Perdition City, a more soundtracky type thing. As for Paatos...I can second what annt said. Not trip hop, but they should appeal to trip hop lovers (unless the trip hop lovers hate prog influenced stuff, of course).