Trip-Hop

off-topic: btw Tash, nice avatar! I just bought a Goblin collection with that picture as the cover art... isn't that from a Suspiria poster?

Is the first track from Buio Omega on there???

edit: Shit, I see you like Secret Chiefs 3. Me too. One of my all-time favourite bands!!!!

Yes it is

SC3 are great

I think we just might be derailing this thread, just a bit :)

Dummy is a fucking classic, make sure to get 'Portishead' if you haven't already.

And yeah, Paatos are great.. Definitely can hear the Portishead influence in the vocals.. Timeloss is quite probably my favourite.. But each album is pure quality!

Funny, I don't hear much of a similarity between Petronella Nettermalm's voice and Beth Gibbons....and this is also the first time I've seen anyone say it!. I've heard some people say she sounds a bit like Annie Haslam though....but I guess it's like colour. Everyone sees them a bit differently.

On Timeles.. On 'Hypnotique' ...The similarity is very clear.. Even the piano tune behind it.. If you added in the trip-hop beat.. It'd be portishead!

Not quite as husky a voice.. But for me, it's a clear influence on them.

Their voices are nothing alike. The only thing they have in common (to my ear) are boobs.

Edit: It's not even the huskiness. It's the mood of it. The tone. The sweetness vs anguish. Their vibrato.

Of course, Portishead must be an influence, but I don't think they sound alike.

Their voices are nothing alike. The only thing they have in common (to my ear) are boobs.

Edit: It's not even the huskiness. It's the mood of it. The tone. The sweetness vs anguish. Their vibrato.

Of course, Portishead must be an influence, but I don't think they sound alike.

Personally i think it is very apparent the influence.. I was not saying they sound identical, sorry if it came across that way.

But come ooooooon ...The first verse of Hypnotique.. Just imagine a sampled hip hop drumloop in that bit.. And you could fool some that it was a segment from a new portishead song!

I really don't hear it. Portishead base quite a bit of their stuff on Isaac Hayes and stuff that sounds like it could be from a long lost Bond movie, and that's something I don't hear in Paatos. I hear a lot more prog in them.

But I do find your observation interesting!:)

Hypnotique...hmmm...I do see what you're driving at, but it's one song!