Trouble - Live in LA

Dec 21, 2003
Sudbury, Canada
Trouble - Live in LA
Independant - 2008
By Adam McAuley

liveinla_SS500_.jpg

We can see a strong outpouring of classic material from Trouble here. The songs have a groove in them that is infectious and really memorable throughout. However, the sound quality of the work doesn’t have enough to draw you into the material thoroughly. This is something I find a flaw with all live albums, however, as they don’t have that crisp sound that can be found with a studio release. The songs manage to churn out their catchiness quite effectively despite this qualm. The track “RIP” is a classic and a nice way to start the proceedings here and the rest of the material maintains the excitement. The vibe is very doomy and leads to a very distinctive type of song being written.

The songs are always trying to suck you into their scope and manage to enthral you as such. The result is strong enough doom that has a couple of faults that prevents it from becoming overly enjoyable. One of these is that new vocalist Kory Clarke’s voice falls flat when compared to the acrobatics that Eric Wagner was capable of pulling of as a singer. Coupled with the flawed sound quality and this is an album that has a hard time standing out against the marvellous Unplugged album which was just dripping in quality. The two are difficult to compare though because of the hugely different styles involved in each one. It’s hard to make a live records that’s cohesive and the band put their best foot forward in attempting to do so.

Live in LA thus gets a mild recommendation, but falls a little short when directly compared to what this band is capable of producing so effectively.

Official Trouble Website
Official Trouble My Space

Wasn't a fan of Trouble with Kory Clarke as the singer. This isn't the greatest album they could have made. I truly believe if your going to stick with this lineup then release a studio album with this lineup. This albulm isn't terrible. But it's just I don't see this as Trouble