Truth be told: I suck at mixing

Heabow

More cowbell!
Aug 24, 2011
France
Hey

Well that's the kind of shitty days I really need feedback, advices and opinions.... I have to mix an EP and whatever I do, it sounds like total crap. I attached my attempt and the reference mix. My stuff sounds about 300 billions miles aways from the latter. This kinda depressing tbh and the more I try, the more I lose confidence on my ears and skills :erk:

Attachments

• HeabowTest1.mp3
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
  • HeabowTest1_refmix.mp3
    901.4 KB · Views: 48
I'd be very grateful if someone could listen to the guitar DI track to tell me if any good tone - especially the ref. mix kind of tone - can be shaped from it because I simply can't.

Thank you!

https://we.tl/i126PzOrts

Gonna check this later at home. I only checked the reference and it seems like the tone would not very hard to get man. X50 with the right impulse should get you in the ball park in no time.

I hate that but the drums are 100% replaced, too much inconsistency. 2 samples for the kick, 2 samples for the snare (including one from Made of Metal EZX) and one tom set. I don't like this mix and I hate this horrible guitar tone and more over that, it does not have this vibe I need to grab :/

I thik that maybe bringing the bass up a little could maybe help glue a little the mix and make the guitars a little less harsh...
You cymbals are really low too, was it on purpose? one of them seems to have a strange ringing so that may be the reason you brought the OH down?
Apart from that, I can't say I really like the reference tone so I might be biased if aiming for it!

Hi! Here's what I can tell about your mix, in comparison with the reference one:
  • Your one has a lot of bass' body range (100-200 Hz), while the reference has a deeper bass. This range does also conflict with the guitars low end.
  • The guitars in your mix have more lows.
  • The kick has the same story as the bass.
Other than those, I think that the sounding is of a quite similar character. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks for your help and encouragements mates! Means a lot :)
I took a break from this mix... Here is my second attempt.

Attachments

• HeabowTest2.mp3
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
Reactions: Phil_ocean
I don't have the experience to pinpoint what could be the problem, since in my ears, your mix sound quite good and is not at all miles away from the reference.

And actually, I prefer your guitar tone than the one on the reference mix. I find the reference mix guitar tone to be too fizzy. So ya! Don't give up, cause I think you are doing a great job!

Thanks Hugues, really appreciated :)
Here is what is supposed to be the final product..

Attachments

• Heabow_master.mp3
    11.3 MB · Views: 12
Well it sounds quite well to me, I'd maybe have the bass a little louder, but that about all...
As I said, I'm not too fond of the reference mix and its guitar tone so I can't really speak as for that, on some sections it seemed to lack a little gain though!

Last edited:
hey there Heabow! Cool mix really dig it :) I agree with Korwent though that there are some parts that guitar's gain seem to lack (I think its due to guitars not being tracked very well at the specific parts) it is around 1' in the song, other than that solid mix/master :)

Thanks a lot guys for listening. Glad you find this mix not too much crappy ahah! I added the second pair of rhythm guitars that I thought they were too sloppy but they add a lil feel of "wall of guitars". I will make the mastering less pumpy.

Attachments

• History Of Violence_masterprint1.mp3
    11.3 MB · Views: 8
It's not that bad but I hear several problems.

First the cymbals a very piercing in the highs which could be a consequence of ear fatigue on your end. Maybe you could remove some high mid in the guitar and let the cymbal breathe through it so you don't have to push

the highs that much. Just a suggestion though.

Another problem is that the Kick eat too much space and while it's nice to have a massive kick drum in this type of music, yours is a bit over the top I think.

Once fixed, you could probably rework the snare accordingly so it doesn't sounds unbalanced with the kick as a consequence if that makes sense.

Anyway, don't give up. Mixing is never easy.

Last edited: