try to recreate the devil wears prada sound (improve my mix please)

mattia.7

Jan 12, 2009
hi guys..i tried to recreate 20 seconds of this tdwp's song...

i'm not Joey :( he is one of the best!!1:worship:
can you guys help me to improve my mix please??
this is my mix:drum SSD,guitars are pod farm (i recorded the DI track directly into mic input in my motu with a jack)..very bad playng,sorry,but i have problem with the direct monitoring..

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/666147/try Reptar, King Of The Ozone.mp3

advices are really appreciated,thank you very much

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds good for me, the guitars are close, and sound good. Maybe the original is a bit darker. I can't judge it, couse Youtube quality is not the greatest, even in HQ... The snare snaps bigger on the original track, and it's not soo scooped. The overheads have too much high.

Anyway its good.

hey,thank you man..i know,the post processing of the steven slate snare is a trouble for me!!some advices for it??it's snare 12a..after more (i hope) advices,i will improve the mix,i'll try less high on the overheads..

Guitars need a bit more gain and mids. I don't think Joey used his regular slate samples (kick 10 snare 12) on that album, but I could be wrong. Doesn't sound like it anyways.

guys,please i need your help..improve this mix,the guitar sound..thank you very much guys..

The guitar tone is a bit obnoxious, I'm not sure how else to describe it. It's surely mixed too loud. I think the actual playing/technique/guitar may be a big part of why it sounds out of place. The guitars are tad out of tune and muddy.

the guitars sound digital i know its pod farm maybe thats why it sounds a bit muddy... i know some people in this forum have gotten great
tones with pod maybe use impulses with it ....dont expect to nail the original tone im sure they use tube amps miced...

the guitars sound digital i know its pod farm maybe thats why it sounds a bit muddy... i know some people in this forum have gotten great
tones with pod maybe use impulses with it ....dont expect to nail the original tone im sure they use tube amps miced...

no it was podfarm so it is in fact possible to get really close podfarm tones, of course unless you can play exactly like the guys in the band your not going to sound like them.

"plagues" has two versions. 1 - real amp, 2 - pod tone.

What're you talking about bro? As far as I know, Joey hasn't used anything BUT Line 6 on a record in quite a while.

In fact, I even remember him saying they did a test where they mic'd up a Dual Recto and compared it to the Line 6 tone, and the Line 6 sound worked better in the mix.

hey dude i think the guitars are pretty lifeless. I also cannot stand out of time drums, ya gotta quantize them shits!! I have honestly never prefered amp simulators to the actual ones though so im not sure if i know what im talking about. If you are really into recording though I think you should focus on making a sound for yourself and not strive for a sound that has already been done.there is more out there then pod farm with the metal pack, metal foundry, and reverse reverb. im not tryin to be mean just trying to open your mind to new possibilities.

That's more than likely the Diamondplate model that Joey's used on that.

Do you have that model available to you? Maybe try that.

hey rex..i don't speak engliesh very well so i don't understand :( sorry..can you explain please?