Trying out some Old-school DM sounds for upcoming project

The Unavoidable

jättebög
May 27, 2008
Umeå, Sweden
Since my bands new album budget shit itself and died, we are doing the whole thing by ourselfs now, with me at the gears. I'm a bit nervous about the final product, but at the same time really excited to do my first real project!

So know I'm sitting here trying out guitar tones, and came up with some pretty cool stuff! My main reference albums for this is the classics of Swedish DM, 'Left Hand Path' in particular. And that note, I decided to try my fatass tone on the title track, to see how it would sound!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=842017&songID=7373797

Keep in mind though that's it's pretty much impossible to nail that tone without the Boss HM-2, it's not supposed to be an exact copy. This is more about getting a tone that works with the music, and has a bit of oldschool flauvor to it. Obviously on the real deal we will be using real drums, but for now it's just DFH. The solo can just fuck off, I just put it there since it sounded empty without it.

Enjoy! I especially like the 'crunch' in the slow riff at the end. :kickass:

EDIT: I also have another variation which I like a bit more, which I can upload later if there is any interest for it.

Thanks alot! I don't think it's as much gain, as it is just a whole bunch of high-end. The PSA 1.1 seems to have a pretty mean LPF on at all times, so you have to EQ a huge boost in the high-end to get anything except muddy and boxy. Which then unfortunantly leads to some artifacts in the highs. But I'll try to experiment with the gain, and see it it helps!

I think it sounds great. It is definitely full and fills out the mix nicely, but it could do even more so with a bit more in the way of low mids to add a tiny bit more growl. You might want to take some of the high end out of the guitars too, and you might find it will give it a nicer sound and make it a bit more rounded, but the sound you're going after isn't as rounded as what many people would want to hear, so I think what you've got is great anyway.