Trying some different guitar miking technique...

Glenn Fricker

Very Metal &Very Bad News
Mar 6, 2005
22 Acacia Avenue
Hey all,

Ok, just a short experiment in rhythm tone... Trying some different ideas from my standard on/off axis mic technique. The drums are lifted from a demo I did last year, so please, don't bitch too much about the drum sound, I've learned a lot since then! :)

Anyway, This is sort of a power groove / White Zombie simple riff, and the focus is purely on the rhythm tone. Let me know what you think...

LINK HERE - Adjusted due to comments below

TIA for any feedback!

-0z-

Hey Oz, the tone sounds pretty good, though a bit grindy without much discernible pitch to my ears - a big part of that, though, is that I feel the guitars are way too low in the mix to make an accurate judgement. This is your 5150 through your Mesa, I presume?

Yeah, 5150/Mesa combo. As for "too low" I'd have to debate that point, but I do appreciate the feedback. Grind was definitely what I was going for. That & something that played nice with the bass guitar. I always get complaints of never hearing the bass.... :( I'll have a look at the 400hz region, tho.

<edit>
I see what you're getting at... thanks for the input. Will have a fix up shortly.

Adjusted mix here

Ok, stepped back, took another listen & changed some EQ points. I cut a little too much in the low mids the last time around & boosted my upper mids at perhaps a bit too low on the scale.

This one has more lower mids & the uppers have been shifted up a notch or two.
Basically, I took a look at Colin's comments on guitar EQ & used that as a guideline. (Hey, who better to take advice from?)
Result: Fatter & still plays nice with the bass & doesn't shred your ears off like the last one.
Anyway, thanks for the second set of ears, Metaltastic! Your input is always appreciated.

-0z-

The second adjusted one is much better. Sounds like you're minimizing the phase between the mics, only hinting at the technique as opposed to overtly showing it in the mix (i.e. Clayman). In the first mix I felt like there was too much fighting between the guitars and bass. They were all clear and sharp so that caused too much going on the high hz. "Result: Fatter & still plays nice with the bass & doesn't shred your ears off like the last one." <-- nailed it right on the head.

What are you changing from the standard set up for this technique, may I ask?

5150 green channel, single 57 into api512c. On recommendation from someone who's opinion I value very much.

I usually track 2 mics on/off axis into the red channel. This is quite a departure for me, & I wanted it fat without it being muddy. I will say this though, the green channel has quite a nice snarl & the red can seem a bit shrill by comparison.