Trying to get a full drum sound

coreysMonster

Oct 28, 2009
alright, so I'm pretty much a n00b when it comes to recording and mixing, but thanks to this forum I've progressed alot.
However, there is one thing that I have yet to figure out, and that is how to get big, full sounding toms.
I'm using Drumkit From Hell, which I know alot of you despise, though I have the feeling it is more for it over-used-ness than for it's actual quality, and am trying to achieve a tom sound similar to tool's parabola

is this at all possible with DFH, should I get new samples, is it a matter of reverb an mixing, or what?
Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

for my current tom sounds, check out "Comet Rain"

http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/kalium/

at around 0:32, where the tom groove starts. I have no idea what to do with it, everything I do seems to either muddy up the mix or mess up the attack.
Help?

EDIT: obviously I'm not expecting to get the exact same sound as Danny Carey with a drum sampler, but that's just the style I'm going for.

Last edited by a moderator:
is this at all possible with DFH, should I get new samples, is it a matter of reverb an mixing, or what?

not gonna happen with those samples

that dude's kit is massive...all the drums get mic'ed top and bottom, and probably triggered as well

he also hits his kit like a rabid gorilla

the DKFH toms also basically suck...so yea. my vote is on diff. samples, but even then don't expect them to sound like anything off of lateralus!

my recommendation would be to set superior or whatever your using into multiout mode, trigger the tom's with aptrigga or drumagog and find some tom samples and start working on them as in eq'ing, comp, reverb and get them smashing on the initial hit. its your best route because the DFH is not going to cut it tom wise

DFH sounds too thin to be of any use. According to almost everyone here, Slate samples are da bomb, (but personally I think they're overused to shit.)

i'd have to agree the slate samples are a bit played out...but it's because of the size of the library, and the flexible manner in which it's been compiled

there's some snare gog's out there that i MUCH prefer the sound of over most of the slate stuff - but there's only 7-8 hits to the gog, and they're all roughly the same velocity. i can sit there and dick with the samples all day and they still sound fake - then i load a slate gog, adjust the levels of the groups for the dynamics, and that's it - done.

Keep in mind also that the Tool drum sound contains a lot of sound from the overhead and room mics. Just using close-mic'd samples won't get you there. Reverb can help but as it doesn't change the actual drum sound, or add the subtle delay and depth that the OH/room mics impart to the track, it's not going to get you all the way there.