Tube Noob: First re-tube of a Dual Rectifier

wishtheend

clip the apex
Dec 29, 2005
SL, UT
I've search as far back as I could on tube recommendations, but i literally know jack-shit about which are actually going to accomplish what I'm look for.

I like the sound of the Mesa's distortion, but I find that it seems really muddy at louder volumes (not even presence?). I'm looking for some tubes that will fix this, tighten up the low end, and anything I can do to get more volume out of the clean channel (so weak compared to channels 2 & 3). General improvements without taking away from that style of distortion (not a fan of british tone or anything).

Thanks for advice.

wishtheend said:
I've search as far back as I could on tube recommendations, but i literally know jack-shit about which are actually going to accomplish what I'm look for.

I like the sound of the Mesa's distortion, but I find that it seems really muddy at louder volumes (not even presence?). I'm looking for some tubes that will fix this, tighten up the low end, and anything I can do to get more volume out of the clean channel (so weak compared to channels 2 & 3). General improvements without taking away from that style of distortion (not a fan of british tone or anything).

Thanks for advice.

What cab are you using?

Edit:

What speakers are in the cab....

Edit again:

Define "turning it up" better....

4x12 Slanted Road King w/ 2 C90's on the right and 2 V30's on the left running 4 ohm mono mode.

I didn't say "turning it up", but tighten up the low end. A little quicker response? I assume this would be corrected in remove the muddy nature of the distortion. I guess something that would add a more natural scooped sound (not too extreme though)

6L6's. All the tubes are the stock tubes. It was bought only a year ago, but it was a floor model at Guitar Center, and I feel the tubes were probley worn before purchase.

I'm trying to stay away from any thing that would reduce the gain. I like that "american" hi-gain, and want to stay true, but refine it up a bit. If possible.

wishtheend said:
I didn't say "turning it up", but tighten up the low end. A little quicker response? I assume this would be corrected in remove the muddy nature of the distortion. I guess something that would add a more natural scooped sound (not too extreme though)

I think you should try a tubescreamer between your guitar and the Recto.
But your clean will suffer.

Thanks for the responses guys. Anyone have recommendation on which tubes will help out my tone? I'm thinking of going through Eurotubes, but haven't decided yet. Any thoughts welcomed.

Just get your tubes directly from MESA. They are all tested thouroughly to be in spec and shipped in perfect pairs.

And if anyone says to re-bias your amp, slap them in the head and tell them they are full of shit.

Okay, maybe I didn't explain my self well enough.

Tubes play a factor in the tone of the amp. I'm more or less asking opinions of what tubes people have tried and liked and what they liked about them.

I've never played anything but these stocks, so can't say I know what one brand would provide versus another.

Just keep in mind, most tubes are made at the same factories and branded later. What's important is to use tubes that are in spec.

Do yourself a favor and read the informative articles posted at the Mesa website.

I've always kept the MESA power tubes in my Dual Recto over the years. The only thing I change often are the pre's. I've tried Chinese, JJ's, Electro Harmonix, and Grooves. I like the Electro Harmonix 12ax7EH's out of the bunch. Although the Chinese ones came in a close second. Using an Ibanez TS-9 in front of my Dual it tightens up the sound quite a bit, no matter what tubes I've had in it. The EH's are a good step towards the sound you are looking for (from what I understand from your posts), and it helped me clean up my Dual a tad and tighten it up. But the TS-9 takes it the whole nine yards. :)

~006

Just retubed my pre- and poweramp last week. (Engl 580preamp + 930/60poweramp). Experimented too with different combinations of tubes.

And indeed, what 006 sais.. EH's or Chinese (i tried Shuguang's) are tight in their low end. Try those :) And check this Dutch fellow (!!) : http://www.tubefreak.com > He knows all about it, just email him :) Esp. for mesa's.

I btw ended up with the following tubes (from www.tonefactory.nl , they're closeby) ;

poweramp :
V1 : Shuguang ecc83
V2 + V3 : EH ecc83
V4 - V7 : SED 6L6GC biased @ 43mA (pin 3-8 gave 492Volts)

preamp :
V1+V2 JJ ecc83s (selected for V1)
V3+V4 selected Sovteks that were in there

My sound got fuller and breathier (not muddy) in the low- and low-mids, more dynamic, less harsh, crispy highs. More singing too. Love it :) Cool way of finetuning your amp.