The power of a Tube Screamer on a 2 ch. Dual Rec (And, new interface = better tonez!)

The difference is clearly audible on my nEar 05 monitors.. it really makes a big difference.

Without the TS I think it sounds kind of grainy(??).. But, with the TS the distortion is much more pleasant :)

lol, those are pretty much my go-to settings as well...slightly more treble, and less presence. i have the same fizz issue as well, was considering a tube swap to try and tame it down...

Don't expect it to help dude, my experience is that tube swaps make very very small differences (unless you're going from like absolute junk to really good), and I hear that 6k in all the 2 ch. Recto clips I've heard! :(

I thought the difference was rather obvious.
Other than that, I think it's overgained... Hence the fizz...

i don't think that clip is overgained for the genre...which IMHO is exactly the problem..Rectos sound great when used for rockier/less saturated material but when you start getting into extreme metal gain territory the fizz sets in..

sorry don't mean to hijack the thread metaltastic :)

here's a track from an album i did last year with a rented 2 channel Recto/OS straight cab..not exactly metal, this was one of the heavier tracks on the album though.

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1194836/06 - The Departure (Part 1).mp3

i liked it so much i ended up buying over the recto. not much fizz in that tone i think, but again, it wasnt really in ultra high gain territory. rhythms were gibson explorer w/ duncan JB and a LP Jr with P-90s, think the leads were a valley arts tele with some sort of stacked humbucker. no tubescreamer..

i don't think that clip is overgained for the genre...which IMHO is exactly the problem..Rectos sound great when used for rockier/less saturated material but when you start getting into extreme metal gain territory the fizz sets in..

here's a track from an album i did last year with a rented 2 channel Recto/OS straight cab..not exactly metal, this was one of the heavier tracks on the album though.

i liked it so much i ended up buying over the recto. not much fizz in that tone i think, but again, it wasnt really in ultra high gain territory. rhythms were gibson explorer w/ duncan JB and a LP Jr with P-90s, think the leads were a valley arts tele with some sort of stacked humbucker. no tubescreamer..

Good mix, but I think the high end is way too dark on the rhythm geets and the rhythm guitars mixed a bit back to really tell, IMO. That tone works for the harmony/lead guitar lines through the verse, but the core rhythms in the background are kinda indistinguishable to me.

I don't think the fizz sounds bad, personally. That said, I think the gain on Metaltastic's clips could come down and it would help, despite you saying it's not the gain level, 'Tastic...:p

Well I re-amped the tracks again with less gain and the mic a bit farther from the dustcap, and while the fizz is diminished, the particular 6k frequency fizz is still there - also, I experimented with lowering the tone knob on the TS from my usual 10:30 spot, which made practically zero difference - here's the mix, here's the guitars themselves (and there's no 6k cut here, just HP/LP)

AND FINALLY, I think I mentioned this in this thread, but one only need listen to "This Godless Endeavor" (especially the intro riff to "Medicated Nation") to hear the same 6k fizz I'm bitching and moaning about! (2 ch. Dual Rec into a Recto cab there, though also with Krank blended in, but still)

I just listened to TGE and I totally get it now.
Shit... I just realized that I'm not very fond of the rectumifier sound.:erk: Fuuuuuuuuuu

But listen to Behemoth's "Demigod" (especially the beginning of "Before Aeons Came") and I think you'll agree it's got a similar feel but without that 6k peak - that was a 3 ch. Rectifier (apparently modded), and the tones on the new album (not out yet, but they play clips in the youtube studio diaries) include a Road King, so I'm thinking either a 3 ch. or Roadster will be the ticket for me!

But listen to Behemoth's "Demigod" (especially the beginning of "Before Aeons Came") and I think you'll agree it's got a similar feel but without that 6k peak - that was a 3 ch. Rectifier (apparently modded), and the tones on the new album (not out yet, but they play clips in the youtube studio diaries) include a Road King, so I'm thinking either a 3 ch. or Roadster will be the ticket for me!

You may way want to try out some JJ E34L's in your Mesa...they did wonders for the fizz in my 3 channel. You never know...

Eh, seeing as how the difference between EL34's and 6L6's was pretty much nonexistent in mine (this thread), I doubt it'd help. And hopefully Lasse won't mind me posting it, here's a test he re-amped through his 2 ch. Dual Rec, Recto cab, and 1x 57 using DI's that he supplied, and once again the 6k fizz is present!

Some might say the fizz would disappear in a mix, but again, listen to the Behemoth song I mentioned above to hear that it's possible to have a tone that cuts without the fizz, and millions upon billions of thanks to Ermz for making me realize this - dude, with your honest feedback and keen insight you more than anyone else have advanced my tone tastes by leaps and bounds! :headbang:

I think people on this forum are obsessed by the gain pot. Everybody want an undergained guitar sound but if you listen some of the best metal tone, they are not undergained at all.
Demanufacture, One Kill Wonder, etc etc....they have lot of distorsion and the sound is great so....there are no rules :)
And if you take a look on the Tue Madsen's Dual Recto....it has the gain like Marcus Dual recto

Hey man, listening now - first off, I have to say this music, oh good god the pain :lol: But I give you props for the tone not being at all fizzy, but also pretty muffled sounding (and the upper end of the distortion on the bass is pretty distracting, or are there also some guitars panned closer to the center? Kinda hard to tell)