The power of a Tube Screamer on a 2 ch. Dual Rec (And, new interface = better tonez!)

That is surely the clip above. I think if you recreate that tone (with less wool), you'll have some phenomenal tone. It has more clarity and that "bark" you love so much.

I know what you mean, but unfortunately, with this amp the only way to get that is to lower the gain to the level it was at in that clip, which I've since decided isn't worth it - I need my saturation, and that clip just doesn't have enough of it!

TS clip is definately better.
i've got a 2 channel Recto through an OS cab as well, while its huge and works great for the rockier stuff i haven't been able to get it tight-sounding enough for my tastes even with an 808 in front. your clip sounds pretty similar though, what were the settings? i'll try em out with my rig and see what happens...

I like the tightness of the TS version.

And the tone sort of makes me want a recto, as long as there's some way to lessen that "squelch." Is that the proper term?

We have the exact same rig, Marcus. I'll try to figure something out to tame the problem I have and we'll see if YOU like it. (No joke- 2 channel dual/standard cab/ts-7/EMG-Equipped axe).

I think I have a plan.

C'mon....there is lot of difference! Without the TS it's not tight and clear at all expecially the palm muted parts and it's muffled overall. With TS there are less bass frequencies but very tight

The difference to me is quite obvious. I definitely prefer the TS version which is much tighter.
I'm guessing the "squelch" is caused from the picking technique and not from the tone.

Yeah, I think the "squelch" is due to the pick angle on the alternate picked part, where the edge of the pick is actually scraping the strings (Mustaine-style picking). On the Down-picked Left side riff it isn't really a problem, just a little "furry".

@ Metaltastic:
What did you do with the 2 instances of GClip and Elephant for the mastering? How did you set them?

TS7 difference is there, sounds tighter. I noticed your treble range doesn't come up alot with the TS7. I always have the feeling that it does with my TS7 through Roadster, also with the 'tone' set on 9 instead of maxed.

Yeah, like I said, those types of heavy rhythm downpicking riffs are my biggest weakness, so undoubtedly my technique needs work on that; better to judge the tone by the clip that continues in the left channel when everything else drops out I'd say! And Greg, yeah dude, I'd definitely be interested to hear what you can come up with!

Thanks everyone else for your comments! nowherecatastrophe, here's a pic of my settings:

DSC00575.jpg

giubis, pretty simple stuff really - I put one instance of GClip on the drum bus track (actually, it's just the stereo track my shitty VSTi is on :loco: ) solo the track, and crank the hell out of the gain knob until it starts sounding nasty (with 2x oversampling on and the other two knobs at the default). Then I put 1 instance of GClip on the master bus and turn it up until it just starts to clip (illustrated in the meters) cuz the first is already doing most of the clipping on the drums, which is really all I want to be clipped. Then with Elephant, I load the Master's Punch +3 dB preset, turn on DC filter (AKA overall HPF) at -45 dB, Dither to 16 bits, bring down the output to -.5 just to be safe, click on "edit" and bring the channel linking up to ~55%, and then turn up the input knob until the mix is around -10 RMS - pretty simple stuff, but it works!

Oh, and in case anyone is gonna suggest turning the treble up, it's what I call the "cornered hissing cat" noise, that 3k nastiness that comes in with a vengeance - trust me, I've tweaked A LOT, and this is the best spot IMO!

Your tone just keeps improving dude
fuuuuuuuu

FINISH THAT FUCKING BEHEMOTH COVER!!! So I can mix it :D
I wanna hear how your tone sounds in a proper full mix!

Yeah, like I said, those types of heavy rhythm downpicking riffs are my biggest weakness, so undoubtedly my technique needs work on that; better to judge the tone by the clip that continues in the left channel when everything else drops out I'd say! And Greg, yeah dude, I'd definitely be interested to hear what you can come up with!

Thanks everyone else for your comments! nowherecatastrophe, here's a pic of my settings:

DSC00575.jpg

Those are VERYYY close to my settings. Could be miking position that's causing your woes!

Definitely not dude, trust me, it's noticeable in the room, and I've done many many many many mic position comparisons, and like I said, the 6k fizz is present in all the past clips I've done, including my speaker shootout of every speaker in the bottom position of the cab, etc. (and Lasse was kind enough to send me a quick re-amp with his 2 ch. Dual Rec that also has it; no, I'm quite certain it's 100% inherent to the amp!)