3 Recto tones, please pick your favorite! (AND: LPF = JESUS)

Cool! And I went in and did some eq hunting, and sure enough, the offending frequency was pretty much right around 4k, AKA the presence knob on most amps, so I re-uploaded the clips with a narrow 2.3 dB cut at 4k (and the drums slightly higher ;)), so if you wanna listen again and perhaps revise that'd rule! And I think you'll find without that presence it's far from too thin now! (at least I think so :D)

And now more than ever I still think I'm feeling A the most to be perfectly honest!

maybe it´s me or the hour (almost 2 am here) but i can´t really tell any diference between the 3...for me they are very similar if not almost the same

hmm. b and c sound almost the same, probably solo'd the difference would be more obvious. definately my fave tone from you! although something about the bottom end bugs me a little. might be cuz its crushed on the 2 bus tho! just elephant on there? it sounds better paired with another compressor! i think your mixes could benefit from a little bit of pumping. though this has nothing to do with the guitar tone....

I'll just shut up now :)

Hey, no worries dude, I appreciate it, and you're right, it's just 2x Gclip and Elephant - I bought the URS 1980 Compressor but have some problems with it (it seems to be delayed like 5 seconds), and I haven't gotten around to getting some help fixing it. Thanks for the motivation to do so! :D

Well, Im probably not the dude to listen to ( as I love the Cannibal Corpse recto sound and I dont mind the dimebag tone, and I love Gary Holts tone also).

So I have different ears to most on this forum, but I have to agree with you Metalistic, I like A the best, sounds to me as though it breathes better.

Shit man, not my cup of tea as I stated earlier, but a damn site better than what I can do at the moment!:lol:

Thanks dude! And now for the results...

A = EMG 81, 18v
B = EMG 81, 9v
C = EMG 85, 9v

I'm fully convinced that A is my favorite, to me it's a balance between the sterility of B and the muddiness of C, so if anyone wants to trade an 81 for my 85, I'll have pics up soon! :D

The reveal suits my earlier opinions. I preferred A and B over C, so 81>85. I preferred A (less mids) over B (more mids) due to 9V having more mids.
I might have to try the 18V mod.

Woah I just woke up and got blasted with those clips :D

The differences are very subtle I must say, A and B sound more open than C which is a bit of a surprise for me as I really love the 85.
The drums are a bit distracting so it is very hard to say which one I'd prefer but I suppose you would EQ this tone anyways in a mix?
It definately would need some mids cut :heh:

But it's a good tone nonetheless! Something is still wrong with the upper mids though, can't put my finger on it.

It definately would need some mids cut :heh:

But it's a good tone nonetheless! Something is still wrong with the upper mids though, can't put my finger on it.

Well I beg to differ :heh: But yeah, I hear the upper mids thing too, I think it's cuz I had the presence too high and compensated with post-eq, lowering the knob on the amp will be just the ticket I'd say! And thanks Erik and Tachy, and Hack, give it a go dude, I'm pretty sold on it!

Well guys, I have had yet another breakthrough, simply in the form of me finally getting around to trying something I never bothered to try before - the HP/LP treatment on mic'ed guitar tracks. And WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW what a difference rolling off even as high as 12k makes, good god - I can be so much more aggressive with the presence knob and dustcap without dealing with the godawful fizz, I am in ecstacy!

Wuut? "God awful fizz"? Like a PODxt? ;)

B sounds best! Interesting how the both guitar tracks work together, although at the first listen I was a bit confused. Nice Obertöne!! (don´t know the english word)= This high screaming notes on the left..lol

Thanks a lot Felix! I was kinda surprised no one else mentioned the riffing, I'm pretty proud of it personally ;) (and I suppose I would call it a "counterpoint" in English)

And Jocke...I don't get it? :loco:

Ahaa..then I cam say "counterpart note" ? Thanks, dude :) The riffing is very cool, but has also some confusing moments. It seems, the two riffs are standing in each other way in some short moments. Under the line, the listener has to get used to a bit..but that is NOT wrong imo. I dig it! Great work, Marcus.

Actually, overtones usually more refers to other harmonics you can hear in a note ;) So yeah, I would say counterpoint or counter-melody!